Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Re: I Still Suck at Poker : 88 in the BB

On the end, you are reduced to putting UTG on overcards and passive on A5, 77, or maybe he just calls down with his Ace high, good kicker (flush draw with it?). See how good I am at putting guys on a hand I can beat! Obviously you are beaten here a lot, so I guess its trust your read in this big pot.

Most players would raise the flop with overcards, so Clarkmeister is right, you are probably ahead on the turn and should checkraise.

I think Tommy says we all suck at poker. Not sure what that means, but its sounds about right.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:36 AM

BUMP for results or did I miss them?
Old 10-02-2004, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey J.R.,

I had read that article, but since it wasn't endorsed by MLB and most people never knew about that little nuance in the official rules, I didn't give them writer complete credit for knowing what they were talking about regarding that one particular scenario and they didn't mention the controversy over it from '95. I did a search though and BP has an article that makes it clear there was indeed a change in the rules between then and now.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

New York sports radio was saying that MLB changed the rule (this was about two weeks ago, and I don't know that they fact checked it).

I would have gone stop and go on the turn. If I played it the way you did I would never have folded in that spot on the river. But I probably call the river too much in these spots.

scrub
Old 10-03-2004, 02:16 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I'm putting UTG+1 on 88 and UTG on A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't think you'll see UTG bluff the river with A-high enough to make calling right. You have to figure that you have UTG+1 beat almost all of the time, so it's a matter of what UTG has. It's not that likely he's dumb enough to bluff into someone who bet into a PFR on the flop and someone who cold-called a turn bet.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BUMP for results or did I miss them?

[/ QUOTE ]

He hasn't posted them yet. He's been busy watching the Astros. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2004, 10:01 PM

He hasn't posted them yet. He's been busy watching the Astros.

Yeah, pretty much. Their freaking Saturday game wasn't on though! I get every FSN in the country so that for just such occassions and they freaking weren't on FSN Southwest for their most important game of the season!!! I was pissed.

Anyhow, for results see sthief's post.

GoT
Old 10-03-2004, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not that likely he's dumb enough to bluff into someone who bet into a PFR on the flop and someone who {overcalled} a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, betting next to nothing into the PFR from the blinds on raggedy flops (or A high flops for some reason), is a pretty routine play for a certain species of overaggro PP 15 player. Unless UTG is familiar with his opposition, the turn overcall is MUCH more meaningful than the flop bet.

scrub