Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Maybe Gus wanted to get busted...

Maybe he wanted to get busted, or at least didn't really care if he did. It's a one table satelite for WPT Championship. He will probably win his way into it next year; if he doesn't, he can easily afford the buy in. Maybe there was a big time cash game or busty blonde he was in a hurry to get to. Sklansky even alludes to this kind of thinking in TPFAP. By making a wild move like calling the all-in with T8s he is definitely advertising his loose play for all to see. This could well pay dividends later, and if he gets busted, he can move on to another game or the blonde.

Just my thoughts,

Fitz
Old 09-09-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Hansesn\'s call with his T8d? Whats going on?

I think he had a read on Antonio for a small/mid pair. I thought that Antonio was a little clumsy with the way he handled his chips, first counting out the call (as usual) and then awkwardly grabbing more for a raise and then kind of a weak push. Maybe Gus got a read off that or maybe I'm just crazy.

I replayed it a couple of times thought that Gus got a pretty good read.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:57 PM

While this is true, you have to consider some other factors. Gus knows that Antonio is the next most aggressive player at the table, and doesn't need to have a huge hand to come after him. If he doesn't have a huge hand T8s is likely not that bad off and he already has 100K in the pot to compensate the pot odds. He also knows that whoever wins this particular pot is a huge favorite to win the event. Lastly, there is no second prize, it's all-or-nothing, so chipping up takes even more importance than it normally does. I'm not sure if Gus makes the same call at the final table of a large prize pool event, although he might if he was confident enough that Antonio wasn't sitting on a big pair.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Give me a break on READS, you have T8s, it's a gamble play . end of story....

READING is over rated and over used excuse for BS on here.... I am fed up!

I had to finally say it...

>TW<

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you can't doesn't mean Gus can't.

That's really the point here. Gus has won enough times that I think we're working well past the "fluke" explanation. I think he's an honestly good player.

If some of his plays don't make sense to you, and to be honest, a lot don't make sense to me, it may well be because you haven't thought about it as much as he has.

Given Gus's tournament success compared to, say, your tournament success, you claims that he did something stupid are bound to come off sounding like a lack of imagination on your part, rather than reckless play on his.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:12 PM

i think gus relishes his maniacal image and he saw this in a way as cheap advertising while at the same time he could go with his read that he had either two overcards/or two live cards. with all that money out their the only way he has an equity (as he likes to call it) problem is if he runs into an overpair which i would have thought firly likely but i didnt have gus's sick read. he knows he gets a lot of exposure as a true maniac that could pay huge dividend at a later time when serious money is at stake
Old 09-09-2004, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While this is true, you have to consider some other factors. Gus knows that Antonio is the next most aggressive player at the table, and doesn't need to have a huge hand to come after him. If he doesn't have a huge hand T8s is likely not that bad off and he already has 100K in the pot to compensate the pot odds. He also knows that whoever wins this particular pot is a huge favorite to win the event. Lastly, there is no second prize, it's all-or-nothing, so chipping up takes even more importance than it normally does. I'm not sure if Gus makes the same call at the final table of a large prize pool event, although he might if he was confident enough that Antonio wasn't sitting on a big pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the best analysis I have seen. This hand really reminds me of the John Juanda/Daniel Negreanu hand from the re-buy event where John went all-in in the dark. Dainel explains why he went in so deep on a weak hand, and it was because if he busted John, he was very cofident in winning the whole thing.

Daniel also has an article how the size of the pot can make a call worth it even against pot odds, just because the size of the pot is so important to a good finish.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:20 PM

"but a true poker player plays the game correctly."

It's too bad we don't have the emoticon that rolls it eyes.

Define "correctly" please? If there's anything that Gus Hansen teaches us, it's that there's more than one right way to do things.

I think Gus makes a lot of preflop calls that I wouldn't make, but given that he read Antonio correctly, he was right to call given the tournament format. Winner takes all, and all of a sudden a huge # of chips are in play and you think you've got a 50% chance of taking the lead. Easy call to me.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:33 PM

I don't believe there was any "stellar read" here. Antonio would have given off the same "weak" read if he had flopped to three of a kind hand. Gus had no way of knowing if it was real emotion or fake emotion coming from Antonio in Antonio making his decision to play the hand the way he did. Antonio is capable of giving off the same "tells" with a killer hand or a low pair!!! I give Gus credit for being a big gambler and coming out on top here, not for being a great reader of another professional caliber player.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:45 PM

How do you pretend to know what Gus Hansen can read and what he can't. You don't think he's good enough to see through a false tell?

I'm not saying that he can, but to assume that it's impossible he had a good read is just speculation without enough evidence to back it up.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
10 8s is about even money to 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when people come with these kind of comments. Shows how much they understand about poker.

Yes, 10 8 is close to even money to 77 but the call was made WITHOUT Gus knowing that the other guy had 77, because if he instead has JJ then it's not that close and your comment looks quite silly doesn't it?

Try thinking about the situation as it appears before the cards are revealed instead of making comments after you have all the facts.

[/ QUOTE ]
All true but Antonio really seemed to agonize over his decision prior to his all-in. Perhaps Gus was reading him for a small to medium pair...and with his aggressive style that was all he needed.
Just my wannabe two cents.