Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Applying a concept made easy?

This is off-topic but I'm an off-topic kind of guy:

[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to put BB on a flush draw since he would likely check-raise the flop because of your PF raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Because that's what you would do? Unless you know the BB personally and have been giving him lessons and told him to play it this way I just don't think you can reasonably say that he would 'LIKELY check-raise the PF raiser with a flush-draw'.

Just because it's something YOU might do doesn't mean that typical Party players would do it.

IMO, most 'typical' players would not C/R. They would either bet of call.

I think this is a common problem with hand-reading on these forums....too many think of the way THEY would play it or the way they THINK it should be played and apply those standards to their opponents.

Not only should you account for the possibility that your players might play unorthodoxically or less than ideally, I suggest that you should count on it.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:39 PM

You're probably right. But it seems like lately I've been seeing auto check-raises when someone flops a flush draw or an OESD. It's like they read one paragraph of SSH and stopped there. Anyone else notice this lately or is it just me?
Old 09-08-2004, 07:26 PM

I think your hand is strong enough that it's not necessary to wait for the turn to raise. If you had TT-QQ or there was a more coordinated straight draw on the board, then waiting for the turn would be good.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:22 AM

i got bored reading the various responses... but in case all three weren't covered, here are the three reasons you're raising the flop:

1) for value... you have a monster on an only slightly coordinated board

2) to give improper odds to long-shot draws, i.e.: allow them to make a mistake and call (this also may have made you 2 extra bb on the turn since it looks like everyone was looking for a reason to call)

3) because waiting for the turn to c/r like this is a move designed to protect a vulnerable, marginal hand... you have dominant hand with only one reasonable draw to face: make everyone else make mistakes that earn you money, don't try to discourage them