Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2004, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Where Do You Fit In Religion Wise?

[ QUOTE ]
Curious as to which of the following slots you most closely fit as to your beliefs...

J. There is no God of any sort.

[/ QUOTE ]

J. However...I think treating the existence of God as a scientific proposition misses the point of religion for many people.

-- M. Ruff
Old 08-26-2004, 10:11 AM

J.

However, I do think there is an intelligence to the universe, except in certain parts of New Jersey.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:36 AM

J

Interestingly I was brought up Catholic both my parents and grandparents on one side all goto church every week and my dad still harbours ideas I might return to the church one day (I am 31 now).

I did get my daughter christened which was a bit hypocritical of me but kept the family quiet (I did put it off till she was 2). In this I had to goto church to meet the priest after mass and at this age (hadnt been since 16) could understand why people find comfort in it as a lot of the things being said were relevant to the problems people have in life.

That is the good side of religion there are many bad sides as well.

However if we are made in gods image then I for one dont hink he is someone worth worshipping if he created this screwed up world with its screwed up people. Of course if you say that others say well he has given us free will. There is always a get out clause when you attack religion.

I dont deny there was a Jesus whether e really was the Christian Jesus presented to us via the bible or if he is someone different, but I live my life my way and dont really care what others make of it.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:21 PM

M. There must be some point to the existence of such a funny thing as the universe. But I, of course, have no clue what it is. Anyone who says they've got definitive answers is either trying to take your money or secretly thinks THEY are God.

I think if anyone actually does figure out the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything, they instantly die and warp into another dimension.

PS: I went to Catholic school and these were my conclusions.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:15 PM

The answer is I have no idea, and am not even curious to know!
Old 08-26-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Either G or Ju

It seems evident that man created god and not vice-versa. I would have insisted on J in my younger days, but as the time remaining diminishes, a belief in G feels good sometimes.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:40 PM

I. God created the universe and the laws of physics but then left us alone forever and probably couldn't change things anymore if he wanted to.

This sounds like the God Einstein and Hawkings are talking about.

I think that, although life may be rare, the laws of the universe seem to encourage it, for some reason. (They may even encourage consciousness.) I don’t think this necessarily obligates me to believe there is a Prime Mover.

On the other hand, I believe that a belief in God, gives the believer certain advantages over a non-believer, in that the believer, by believing in a force greater than himself, is able to accomplish more than an equally capable non-believer.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:05 PM

"I believe that a belief in God, gives the believer certain advantages over a non-believer, in that the believer, by believing in a force greater than himself, is able to accomplish more than an equally capable non-believer."

How so? Wouldn't a person who thinks his entire destiny is in his own hands be more self-motivated?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't a person who thinks his entire destiny is in his own hands be more self-motivated?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they who believe they have a destiny, are.

I think you meant to use the word future in your post.

des·ti·ny ( P ) (dst-n)
n. pl. des·ti·nies
The inevitable or necessary fate to which a particular person or thing is destined; one's lot.
A predetermined course of events considered as something beyond human power or control: “Marriage and hanging go by destiny” (Robert Burton).
The power or agency thought to predetermine events: Destiny brought them together.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:56 PM

K