Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: More On My Favorite Theme

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, I raise with KQ in UTG+1 as well, but according to SSH page 90 it is a limping hand. Where in that book does it say raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

pg 82, in the guidelines for loose games.

In fairness to the opposing position, though, 3/6 games usually fall into the tight category as SSH defines it.

Nonetheless, I think this is one of the points where the forum consensus is (correctly) to raise almost always. Same thing with suited paint like KJs and ATs. I used to limp these until Josh said they were much easier to play when you raise, and he was right.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I raise with KQ in UTG+1 as well, but according to SSH page 90 it is a limping hand. Where in that book does it say raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see the relevance of the question. Are you saying that if I could find a book that says you should raise 97o UTG that would make it the "correct" play? The point of this forum is to try to discuss and find the most profitable plays, not to see who can look up the "right answer" the fastest in his favorite book.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:32 AM

Gamming Mouse said it was a very very easy raise and implied that SSH talked about this. I looked at page 80 and saw that this was 4 to the flop. If SSH talked about the reasoning behind it, I wanted to read about it. Gamming Mouse was technically incorrect about SSH saying raise. I still raise, but I'm not 100% certain of the reasons why I am raising. If there is a thread on why KQ is a raise beyond a shadow of a doubt, and contains a thorough analysis, please point me to it. If you think this is a lookup fest, you are mistaken. Why you would think I was trying to do that puzzles me.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:29 AM

Funny thing, Barry Tannenbaum says you shouldn't play KQo from the EP at all.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gamming Mouse said it was a very very easy raise and implied that SSH talked about this. I looked at page 80 and saw that this was 4 to the flop. If SSH talked about the reasoning behind it, I wanted to read about it. Gamming Mouse was technically incorrect about SSH saying raise. I still raise, but I'm not 100% certain of the reasons why I am raising. If there is a thread on why KQ is a raise beyond a shadow of a doubt, and contains a thorough analysis, please point me to it. If you think this is a lookup fest, you are mistaken. Why you would think I was trying to do that puzzles me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of any specific threads, but I do know the reasons I do it.

KQo plays best against a small field, and a raise, at 3/6, will usually succeed in creating a small field. In loose games (which 3/6 usually isn't), you don't mind a bunch of terrible coldcalls either, because even though your big pair usually won't hold up, you'll have more than your share of equity preflop.

The second, and IMO most important, reason to raise is that it makes the hand much easier to play. The primary reason that KQ off is a vulnerable hand is EP is that it is so easily dominated. More precisely, in tough games, you are a big dog to many of the hands that will call or raise you -- AQ, AK, QQ, KK, AA. If you play well post flop, your raise will usually create action that will alert you to this situation and allow you to fold on the flop or turn.

When you don't raise, you will often create a situation where your opponents apparent strengh on the flop or turn could be a reaction to your PF weakness, or could even be a bluff, and will be forced to call down your 3-outer incorrectly.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder I've never heard of him.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder I've never heard of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's too bad because he is an excellent player that is highly respected by both Sklansky and Lee Jones.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:39 AM

probably already been said, but i say that hand 1 is an easy fold. hand 2 is an easy call.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:44 AM

hand 1, although i don't think i woulda thought of doing it at the time, becomes an easy 3-bet... it opens up just about everything ie - free showdown, makes everyone else slowdown unless they have the flush, and by getting 4-bet you'll know you're beat

hand 2 is a call unless this guys aggression is less than 1
Old 04-20-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1, although i don't think i woulda thought of doing it at the time, becomes an easy 3-bet... it opens up just about everything ie - free showdown, makes everyone else slowdown unless they have the flush, and by getting 4-bet you'll know you're beat

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, nate mentioned that too, and after he pointed it out I saw how obvious that was, especially given my read.

btw, what the f*ck is with you ditching that little dude holding the sword? that was like my favorite avatar.