Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Is this a jerk move by this guy?

The fact of the matter is the guy made a terrible play. I could have called and knocked him out in what was a worthless play. I was 60% Fold, 40% call...I would have definitely called if he hadn't moved to our table six hands ago. He turned out to be somewhat of a maniac.

What was his point of pushing all in though? He had to know he was third in a third person race.

It's almost like collusion...he wanted to double up the short stack and piss off the other large stack.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:02 PM

Well, again, I wouldn't sweat it very much. After objective analysis, we can agree that the play was pretty horrible. I gave up trying to figure out the thinking behind horrible plays years ago.

-Oz-
Old 08-22-2005, 12:22 PM

I agree with Oz... it was a really bad play because he wasn't picking up a sidepot and was risking his entire tournament on 2nd pair on the flop, essentially no kicker. You made the correct play to force the small stack all-in, but you can't help if another person at the table makes a stupid play. When he went all-in, the correct play was to fold your hand. Poker would be boring if we didn't have to deal with the variance of complete idiots at the table If he keeps playing like that, you should have a good chance to take him out later on.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:29 PM

"OZCDN"s possible view;

..."REAL" don't have Q, because he didnt go all in, so he is stealing with Ax...
..."FGATORS" might have straight draw and he wants me out of pot, otherwise he would have raise before "REAL"...
...I have middle pair, my hand is currently the best, I raise "FGATOR"s draw out...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's almost like collusion...he wanted to double up the short stack and piss off the other large stack.

[/ QUOTE ]Do not attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he made a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious why you say that because I partially disagree. Short of the guy having a great read that the OP would fold to a push.

I think his raise is excessive, puts his tournament on the line, and isn't something that would be indicative of a great hand (I.E. 44, JJ, J4, etc)
Old 08-22-2005, 01:15 PM

Villain should probably have not bet with second pair. After villain bet and hero raised, villain should proabably fold. However, there is a a reasonable sized sidepot to play for and hero pretty much has to fold what he had, TPGK. The bluff push will usually work. However, when iut doesn't work, villain will lose a lot. Even if villain gets hero to fold, he could still lose the main pot. Villain is risking too much to gain to little. Hero's raise could easily mean more than top pair.

Villain's play seems like typical overaggressive low-limit style. Villain probably doesn't understand the dynamics of the situation when one player is allin.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:27 PM

People always get angry when someone makes a bad aggressive play with another player allin. Some people don't know what they are doing and bluff at a dry sidepot. Preflop, it is often a good play to make an isolation raise over an allin player and flat caller(s). People often getberated for that too. Yeah, the guy didn't play this real well. Your play might be questionable too. However, bluffing you out of the sidepot is not totally unreasonable, and he certainly has a right to play that way.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:42 PM

When villain bet at the dry sidepot, why did you raise? I am not sure if raising is a good play if you have to fold to a reraise. Also villain could easily have you beat.

Superaggressive players are generally good at reads and sensing weakness. If you had a really big hand, you probably would call and let villain fire again at the turn or bet the turn yourself. Villain may have sensed that you had top pair or something and were trying to get him out of the hand, and he figured you couldn't call the push.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"OZCDN"s possible view;

..."REAL" don't have Q, because he didnt go all in, so he is stealing with Ax...
..."FGATORS" might have straight draw and he wants me out of pot, otherwise he would have raise before "REAL"...
...I have middle pair, my hand is currently the best, I raise "FGATOR"s draw out...

[/ QUOTE ]

After I mucked I told him I folded a Q and he said he knew I had a Q and would fold it. I never said KQ.