Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: \"Do You Play Check and Raise?\"

[ QUOTE ]
sorry, should have said "low mid limit" but this mostly happens at games around 10-20. For those who haven't played the Foxwoods 10-20 stud game, it really is that bad at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daaayum! Anyone want to stake me? Sounds like bankrolls all that's keeping me out of this game, and I don't consider myself a good stud player [yet].

And for the record, I obviously don't believe it's a good thing to play without the C/R; the only point of my comment above was, it would be even more -EV to C/R if it's going to antagonize players until they play well against you. I agree the best strategy is to finesse it good-naturedly until it becomes an issue.

FWIW I was told that Circus Circus was the last LV room to ban the C/R, hence why the rake signs often say "CHECK/RAISE ALLOWED".
Old 08-08-2005, 01:43 PM

And if I were W. Deranged, I'd stop wasting the BG's money by posting on twoplustwo all day. Also, if I played with W. Deranged on a regular basis in everyone's favorite 10-20 game, I'd give him noogies every chance I get. He really loves it. I'd also ask him about his (hot) sisters, particularly his twin sister. He's really, really proud of what they've done with themselves.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:45 PM

die.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:54 PM

What ever happened to good old fashioned honesty? If someone asked, "Do you chop?" the very people who are espousing gimmicky non-answers would say it's angle-shooting and/or unethical to say you chop, then raise into the BB.

If you don't want to give up the tactical advantages of C/Ring, and are willing to give up (or are unaware of) the strategic advantages of keeping the "friendly game" atmosphere, then just be honest and say you do. This probably will cause some to be more cautious when in a pot with you, figuring you for a thinking player. But that's nowhere near as bad as having half the table gunning for you because you're a thinking fucknut [censored].

Bluffing during the hand is fine, lying about the ground rules ahead of time is dickish.

Edit
To OP: I don't have any experience with this situation, but I liked your answer. Depending on the stakes, however, I'd probably say something like "If nobody else at the table is C/Ring, I won't." At low enough stakes I think a straightforward style of play loses so little that keeping everyone happy may be more +EV than pulling out all the tricks.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:31 PM

"Did you say this was a no-raising game?"

"No, I want to know if you play check-n-raise"

"We can uses personal checks?"

Then check-raise every hand
Old 08-08-2005, 04:50 PM

"Do You Play Check and Raise?"

"Yes."

I really do not see any reason for it to be any more complicated than this. If you dodge the question the first time you use it they will notice anyway.

Or tell them that you were not going to but since they asked you to you will now. Maybe if use that line enough they will stop asking.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:10 PM

agreed- best response yet.

Would they not zero in on you, since they "taught" you the concept?

Nicely done, Ken