Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: 99 UTG against a PFR

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't induce a worse hand to fold or a better hand to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take you at what you mean, rather than what you say. If this is the case, however, bet! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think there is a small chance of making JJ/TT fold, but really, if they've made it this far, that chance is pretty small. AT, AJ are certainly not calling a bet, but it's conceivable that they'll bluff about 1 time in 10. I was thinking about bet/fold, but I like check/call better. Bet/call is almost certainly wrong, unless you know this guy is a bluffing, preflop-raising fiend.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 PM

check/call the river. yeah, you could be beaten, but i'll pay this off if he bets (hoping for a busted A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] flush draw bluff). that King probably isn't any more scary than the Q was, so i seriously doubt he's folding a hand we beat.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop: here is where I don't quite understand. Why again are we check raising? There is an over to our pair, there are a range of raisable hands that beat us here (TT-AA, KQ, AQ, QJ), and if the guy has a queen, he isn't going anywhere, so my question is, what does the check raise do for you? Again, not saying it is wrong, just trying to become more agressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still working on this myself. In a large (raised) pot and with a reasonable flop (not too many broadways), I don't want to just give up a hand when I might still be best. In a small pot this is reasonable since those times that you aren't best you will lose a lot of chips postflop, but here I felt that the pot size was large enough to make a stand.

I checked because I wanted to see the action behind me -- there is an overcard out there, and I want to see how much people like their hands. With the preflop raiser auto-betting and the next player folding, there's a good chance I still have the best hand. If so, then I have to raise because the pot is big and I'd like UTG+1 to go away.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't induce a worse hand to fold or a better hand to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take you at what you mean, rather than what you say. If this is the case, however, bet! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh ... just making sure y'all were paying attention. Yup. That's right.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Results

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9s 9h (one pair, nines).
MP2 has Ah Th (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.75 BB. </font>
Old 07-20-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Results

vnh
Old 07-20-2005, 01:33 PM

do you think he would have folded to a bet?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 PM

This is exactly right. Good explanation

We have to do what we can to win this nice sized pot right now. We check to see how things go, the pfr is going to bet there like always, since noone else raised, we can assume we have the best hand. We can't just assume pfr has a Q or pp bigger than ours.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9s 9h (one pair, nines).
MP2 has Ah Th (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.75 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

The results don't surprise me a whole lot. Before I left 1/2 full for 1/2 5-max, I noticed a lot of aggressive play. I see it at 5-max, too (look up my most recent 5-max posts), but I think the "aggressive play" mantra is finally getting out there, and now everyone is throwing their money away with excessive aggression.

You can see it (excessive aggression) here in the forum, too...
Old 07-20-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think he would have folded to a bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would if I were in his shoes. But then, I wouldn't be betting A-high on this river either, so who knows?