Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Managing a Large Bankroll

For those looking for the ING routing number it's 031176110 from this thread.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:22 AM

Come on that's a fold, your going to get drawn out.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2004, 10:46 AM

It's a loan against the equity in your home. If you don't own your residence, you can't get one.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:27 AM

Beings that you've helped me so much in the past, let's see if I can return the fave.

You need to figure out what you need in the bankroll compared to excess. Brett's idea of buying a house and LOC is okay if you are going to have equity in it, if no equity, no loan. So nix that idea and screw paying the interest on it as well.

Figure you basic need for bankroll under normal conditions and keep it in the poker sites account. Keep an emergency amount in neteller in case you need to push it in quick. (probably 5 buyins or so.) I assum you keep 20 or so in the poker site for NL anyway.

Now keep an extra 10 buyins or so in savings/money market account that is available if you need.

Keep 5 buyins (if necessary for live play) in cash handy as ATM's are a pin to withdrawl.

Rest of it.

I've dont pretty well with REIT investing but I got in at the bottom and am earning 8.1 on my initial investment w/dividend reinvestment rolling into principal at market rate. Index funds work okay too, but with the market high right now may be a little sketchy. Unless we have a Santa Claus Rally.

Real Estate rental properties are good or passive income investent, but you can use OPM totally for that if you're credit is good. So don't waste BR on that.

Try the market for any real returns on the excess $$. When you're ready for real estate, let me know, there's way to get that done w/o shelling $$ out of pocket.

Keep what you need to be comfortable in BR when you hit that $$ any excess should be put into investments, be it a S&P 500 fund or something equivalent. In fact a Roth IRA may be better so that you can use that $$ when you retire might as well put it to some good use. The Roth IRA is tax free BTW.

Gregg
Old 12-22-2004, 11:31 AM

Invets in DHY. A closed end income mutual fund earning 10.8% currently. I got in when the return was 14, but 10.8 is still nice. Dollar cost into it, so you don't experience any sudden changes in share value.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Invets in DHY. A closed end income mutual fund earning 10.8% currently. I got in when the return was 14, but 10.8 is still nice. Dollar cost into it, so you don't experience any sudden changes in share value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a high yield bond fund to be pulling that number, ever take a look at their portfolio of bonds? rate of default? My spine shudders when I see some of the dead weight they carry on these portfolios.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:48 AM

While your spine has been shuddering, I have been making over 20 % over the last three years (including prin rising). The point of a mutual fund is diversification, even if there is some dead weight, another bond will make up for it. Also, income is paid monthly, so this is ideal for br investment.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While your spine has been shuddering, I have been making over 20 % over the last three years (including prin rising). The point of a mutual fund is diversification, even if there is some dead weight, another bond will make up for it. Also, income is paid monthly, so this is ideal for br investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats great. My portfolio has not been too shabby either. My cap gains and my income combined have my portfolio up over 45% in the last 2 years. Junk Bond fund is the next thing I have to add though.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:00 PM

Is that annualized ?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that annualized ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

No, thats total. still not bad though.