Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: I almost died today

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I know its against your instincts but usually its better to just run over what ever it was than try and avoid. I have seen way to many serious accidents from people trying to avoid hitting deer, dogs, boxes, etc; especially in traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that. Outstanding advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty certain you'd be better off trying to avoid hitting a deer rather than running it over. Unless of course you drive a canyonero...
Old 10-02-2005, 10:42 PM

Happy to hear you're OK. I've been in 3 car wrecks that I thought I shouldn't have walked away from. I know how you feel.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-02-2005, 10:43 PM

I've seen the plastic ones. In fact, my parents have them on their house. I've never seen them preassembled though.

In that case, I take back what I said. Sorry you almost hit a fence.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:45 PM

Hitting a dear going fast will most likely keel you.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It smelled like burning rubber for the rest of the trip

[/ QUOTE ]

get your brakes checked soon.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty certain you'd be better of trying to avoid hitting a deer rather than running it over. Unless of course you drive a canyonero...

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, the first, best choice, is foot off the gas, ease on the brakes (don't panic stop, that's what causes 360's) and steer straight ahead.

Of course there are variables. At night, speeding, 2-lanes, ditches on either side of me, I'm hitting the deer. Attempting to miss at high speed I'm probably in the ditch. Upside down. Bleeding a lot.

Same night, interstate, not crowded, speeding (again), I'm headed for the shoulder or, if there is one, the median.

I'll stop now. There are too many possibilities. The final decision always depends on the situation/circumstances. That's why it's not a bad idea to think about things like this. Occasionally.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty certain you'd be better of trying to avoid hitting a deer rather than running it over. Unless of course you drive a canyonero...

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, the first, best choice, is foot off the gas, ease on the brakes (don't panic stop, that's what causes 360's) and steer straight ahead.

Of course there are variables. At night, speeding, 2-lanes, ditches on either side of me, I'm hitting the deer. Attempting to miss at high speed I'm probably in the ditch. Upside down. Bleeding a lot.

Same night, interstate, not crowded, speeding (again), I'm headed for the shoulder or, if there is one, the median.

I'll stop now. There are too many possibilities. The final decision always depends on the situation/circumstances. That's why it's not a bad idea to think about things like this. Occasionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. If you do have to hit the deer, I remember from class that you should brake as much as you can, then gas it when you're within a few feet of it so that you won't get impaled in the driver's seat. It's probably to do with wanting to have momentum going forward on impact.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hitting a dear going fast will most likely keel you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No actually it won't. Deer are nothing to any kind of car. They make a terrible smacking sound and the cracked windshield, busted sheet metal and deer crap down the side of our car really sucks but its still much better than breathing through a tube the rest of your life.

Same thing with cows. More damage to your car but still safer than swerving.

2 animals that you should try to avoid though are Elk and Moose. They stand so high that you normally take their legs out from under them and they slam through your windshield.

Also pigs are probably the worst thing to hit. THey roll under the car and people end up flipping a lot.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 PM

You've hit a lot of animals, haven't you.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've hit a lot of animals, haven't you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Growing up in Wyoming and now spending a lot of time in the back roads of Nevada, I've seen or hit most of them.