Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Poker Movies
Maverick 0 0%
Rounders 15 78.95%
other 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: TV Show \"Tilt\": Bad for Poker?

The funny thing is that the show is about as realistic as all the other primetime shows on tv. We in the poker community can pick it apart, but every show has a community doing the same thing.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's about as bad as I expected it to be. Then again, I watched a few episodes of that stupid show about football that they ran last year, so I knew what was coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true, why is ESPN so damn cynical?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The funny thing is that the show is about as realistic as all the other primetime shows on tv. We in the poker community can pick it apart, but every show has a community doing the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the point. Doctors probably don't get too upset at the innacurate jargon on ER, but if the show portrayed the best doctors in the world to be corrupt, cheating, thieves, things would be different.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:53 PM

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Playmakers was awesome. You do realize why it was cancelled, right? Because it was way too close to the truth, and the NFL threatened ESPN so they pulled it. Playmakers was actually a reasonably close representation of the NFL, except that all the drama occured on a single team. But even still, it dealt with a lot of real issues in the NFL. Tilt, on the other hand, is a pretty bad representation of the poker world...
Old 01-15-2005, 11:51 PM

I am not defending the show. I am showing that people DO believe most of what is on tv until a show is about something they actually know about. Then they think that one show is fake but assume the others are real.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what you guys are talking about, Playmakers was awesome. You do realize why it was cancelled, right? Because it was way too close to the truth, and the NFL threatened ESPN so they pulled it. Playmakers was actually a reasonably close representation of the NFL, except that all the drama occured on a single team. But even still, it dealt with a lot of real issues
in the NFL. Tilt, on the other hand, is a pretty bad representation of the poker world...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is a common tactic used by filmakers. You can take things that do happen rarely and make them seem like they happen all the time, this gives a false impression of reality.

Look at the Vietnam movie "Platoon". Oliver Stone wanted to make American vets look bad. So he took basically every negative act that did occur, over ten years, among a million+ men who served, and put every one of those things into one platoon.

the scary thing is many people learn what they "know" from movies and tv.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:13 AM

I would hardly compare the exageration of Playmakers and Tilt, though. The issues in Playmakers happen in the NFL quite a bit. The major story lines of the show: Old veteran RB gets injured, team drafts new hotshot RB. Hotshot RB is drug addict, bad team player, horrible teamate, yet the owner insists on playing him because he paid the money to him. Coach doesn't want to, but has to because the owner makes him. This happens all the time. Helped by the fact that older RB is accused of domestic abuse, again, happens quite a bit, and very reasonable explanations and outcomes. The drug-addict hotshot might have been a bit too much of a drug addict, but I have absolutely no doubt that there are a ton of similar players in the NFL right now. They had one on this team. Then they had the womanizing QB...again, a stereotype, but not exactly farfetched, a lot of pro athletes certainly are womanizers. How about the gay WR? This was probably thrown in there because of the issues at the time. From what I can remember those were the main issues of it, oh and the lineman that was too hurt to play but wanted to anyway. Again, common thing in the NFL. I don't think Playmakers was farfetched at all, it was TOO REALISTIC, that's why the NFL made them pull the plug.

Tilt, on the other hand, let's see...Yes, it is very very early, but if you all want to judge it, I will too. Basically, it made all winning poker players look like cheats and frauds, and made almost every game looked rigged. And tell me the last time guns were pulled at a poker table, or someone was tackled. Or how about the last 3 players in a satellite all cheating? Or a brilliant mastermind behind it all trying to get back at the supposed best poker player in the world...come on...there's really no comparison...
Old 01-16-2005, 01:17 AM

I think for the general world of poker it has little effect, as those that probably watch it are already involved in poker, or on the wannabe level therefor they already have tehir mind made up on what they think the poker world is like. I think its good for poker as it promotes a wild crazy, loose machismo image which is great for fish (the only people that would take it seriously anyway) and bad for poker as it promotes a rockstar lifestyle which isn't really that true when you figure you're folding most of the time.... and waiting to make a few bones here and there...
Old 01-16-2005, 01:20 AM

What I cant figure out, is if i feel more violated by the crappy nature of the show, or later on that night seeing phill hellmuth on QVC selling chips tables and his dvd...

it promotes more people to play, which means more fish, but also these pros getting popular are teaching people that there is more to poker than just luck and aggression, and that worries me a bit..
Old 01-16-2005, 03:22 PM

You know Dan Harrington has pulled a piece many a time when he plays at the clubs...