Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   TV Show "Tilt": Bad for Poker? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=176704)

2ndGoat 01-13-2005 11:05 PM

TV Show \"Tilt\": Bad for Poker?

After seeing a half hour of ESPN's "Tilt," I have a bad feeling. The show paints poker as full of cheats, and worse, and almost seems to imply that cheating is the only way to get ahead. I may be drawing conclusions hastily... and the additional exposure may outweigh the negative image (no publicity is bad publicity, right?) However, I think the perception of the game as fair to all comers is one of the most important assets to bringing new players to the game... and I don't like this.

What do you think?

2ndGoat

cpk 01-13-2005 11:33 PM

Re: TV Show \"Tilt\": Bad for Poker?

It's just a freakin' TV show. You might as well say that CSI: Crime Scene Investigation is bad for Las Vegas, as I'll guarantee you that more bizarre murders have occurred on that program already than have occurred in Las Vegas in the last 40 years.

ClaytonN 01-13-2005 11:35 PM

Bad for the reputation of poker as a game for the mathematically inclined, yea.

The show is making poker look like a game for cheaters.

However, I don't think this will change my earn rate a bit. The fish will keep coming.

Harv72b 01-13-2005 11:37 PM

It's about as bad as I expected it to be. Then again, I watched a few episodes of that stupid show about football that they ran last year, so I knew what was coming.

2ndGoat 01-13-2005 11:54 PM

<<It's just a fraking TV show>>
Good point.

<<I watched a few episodes of that stupid show about football that they ran last year>>
Yeah I thought back to that too. Treachery sells, I guess.

2ndGoat

binions 01-14-2005 12:18 AM

How exciting would a show be about whether a 12 outer merited calling a pot bet on the turn vis a vis respective stack sizes/implied odds?

2ndGoat 01-14-2005 12:59 AM

"How exciting would a show be about whether a 12 outer merited calling a pot bet on the turn vis a vis respective stack sizes/implied odds?"

I would be enthralled [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Can't speak for the rest of the world.

2ndGoat

deacsoft 01-14-2005 03:37 AM

First of all, WRONG FORUM!

Secondly, any exposure, at all, is good for poker as a whole.

Lastly, who watches ESPN and hasn't already seen the 2003 or 2004 WSOP 100 times?

Sasnak 01-14-2005 10:05 AM

It's just bad for TV and ESPN specifically. It runs more like a high school play and leaves me wishing for the good ol' days when all ESPN had was Chris Berman, Australian Rules Football and hours of dead air with that stupid red ESPN logo in the oval. Any "old timers" recall those days pre-MTV?

rdu $teve 01-14-2005 10:48 AM

Ive been saying this since I first saw the TV adds. They're sticking with the old image of poker with cowboys and barfights, where poker only results in some poor sap losing the farm or getting shot.

This can not help poker grow, and these portrayals are what prevent poker from becoming legalized in many states.