Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Playing K10s with caution and aggression

He may have to dodge a few cards to win at showdown, but he still has a strong holding and a good chance of winning by the river.

This is basically the definition of reverse implied odds- the idea that your hand is good enough to take to showdown, but that there are a lot of cards that can hurt you. When you get in these situations you want to clear out your opposition if you can, a check raise will not do that, and there are too many cards that can come on the turn that you dont want to bet into the lag and have him raise.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Playing K10s with caution and aggression

Okay, I like betting out better after re-reading the arguments. I'd be miffed if he didn't raise and I let everyone get to the turn for 1 bet, but I'd much rather have the field have to call 2 cold even if the odds of it happening are less.

However, I still think that although his hand decreases in value on the turn and river, it is not to the point where he should consider folding (or check calling) on the flop... since the diminished value is only important enough to make hero try to limit the field as early as possible, it's just a matter of protecting the best hand.

Sklansky's reverse implied odds examples usually are hands that seem promising on the flop but should be thrown away because of the extremely diminished value... something that is not the case here. His odds aren't as good as he might like but it is still a worthwhile hand.

Surf