Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do most girls like better?
Both at same time 152 48.25%
Fingered 23 7.30%
Eaten out 140 44.44%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: World Series Upgrade

[ QUOTE ]
The buy-in has always been 10k - so shouldn't it be adjusted due to INFLATION? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's my biggest problem with the WSOP buy in. It hasn't changed since it's inception. $10K was a helluva lot of money back when the thing started in 1970.

That's why it attracted only the best of the best because only those with the skils to have enough confidence in putting up $10K or have backers that would do so for them would play.

$10K isn't exactly cheap nowadays, but it's by no means a ton of money or has the same value it did in 1970 or even 1990.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The buy-in has always been 10k - so shouldn't it be adjusted due to INFLATION? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's my biggest problem with the WSOP buy in. It hasn't changed since it's inception. $10K was a helluva lot of money back when the thing started in 1970.

That's why it attracted only the best of the best because only those with the skils to have enough confidence in putting up $10K or have backers that would do so for them would play.

$10K isn't exactly cheap nowadays, but it's by no means a ton of money or has the same value it did in 1970 or even 1990.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerstars, party poker, full tilt, etc won't care for your idealistic view of the wsop, they'll just add another round of satellites.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they raise it, then less people will play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Some ridiculous percentage of players get in via satellite, so if the buyin goes up, then the number of satellites just needs to go up to get a comparable number of players. With the internet sites and every rinky-dink cardroom having their own qualifiers, there should be no shortage of satellites. Does anyone know the percentage of players that actually buy in with out-of-pocket cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is entirely wrong.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:01 PM

considering the damn event is going to take a week to run the first 2 days they should either get another room for the event or up the buy in. will be ridiculous to go there for a week and only play 2 days especially if you got a regualr job.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:00 PM

Say it again Wht Fix it when it aint broke

Though they need to add more games and spread them out better.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:07 PM

Here's my only problem with this.

Realistically, in a few years, if I haven't won a satellite, I can see myself blowing 10K on a straight buyin and playing it just once - to say I've done it...

if it's 25K, I can't see myself doing that....so that's what would make me bummed about the entry fee going up.

RB
Old 11-19-2005, 01:10 PM

Wow, what a unique and fascinating concept. Raise the buyin of the ME to make it more prestigious.

Amazing no one thought of that yet.

10K is still a lot of money for a poker tournament, and the WSOP is just fine as it is.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:18 PM

If they raised it to $50k Mike wouldn't be able to enter and win it in a heads-up match against Johnny since he only has 3 stacks of high society. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2005, 07:35 PM

Raising the buy in will only lead to the death of the WSOP.