Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: thinkin WA/WB, but then it just kept gettin uglier

[ QUOTE ]
calling the turn and folding the river is ugly here. What changes your hand between the turn and the river that makes you want to fold your hand? You really think he hit that k?? If you call the turn, call the river. Only thing you beat here is TT-99. A free/cheap showdown raise isn't such a bad idea on the flop, IMHO. You can bet/fold again on the turn with any non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, getting to the river and folding is not ideal. I doubt the K helped him, but every possible overcard to Hero's JJ is on the board and if he hit any Hero is behind. I'm really trying to focus on these exact situations as my game evolves and choose times to call down and when I can feel good about folding early on. Should there be a "point of no return" with the calldown play? As in this case, once you call the turn just call down no matter what hits on the river?
Old 10-24-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After I raise the flop, I fold to any aggression, bet/fold the turn, and check through any river card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is spot on
Old 10-24-2005, 12:22 PM

If its heads up and you have little chance of improvement, calling on the turn should almost always equal calling on the river. Often times you should include the cost of 2 BB in the pot odds of you having the best hand. One situation where you would call the turn/fold the river is if you could only beat a draw vs an aggro oppenent (i.e. flush draw, straight draw), you can often fold the river if the draw comes in.