Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Interested in writing a Datamining App - advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck, I wrote PartyMine and interfacing with Party's software is a pain in the butt, I have been a programmer for 10 years and had problems with alot of their stuff. They have alot of custom controls that aren't easy to figure out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine this wasn't accidental.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how does 2005 look? Im using 2003 still.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it a lot. If you design windows forms it puts up blue guidelines for aligning controls. So lets say you're moving a button onto a form that has a textbox. Once you get near the vertical or horizontal edge of the textbox a guideline shows up and the control will "snap" to the edge and line up with the other element.

Also when you code if you declare a variable but never use it VS underlines it in green. Or if you try and use a variable before it has any type of value it will underline it (Dimming it as ... Dim myVar as String = ""...will get rid of the line).

And intellisense is improved in that it offers a tab that has "common" properties or "all" properties. Makes figuring out what property to try when using an unamiliar control pretty easy by looking at the "common" list.

And when you compile and get errors, if VS knows what the proper code should look like it will have a link to click that shows you what the code should be and it will correct it for you.

The debugger is nicer too.

Of course there's probably 100 other features I haven't discovered yet that will come with time. If you have an MSDN subscription and can get it, I'd definitely recommend it.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the review.

I have the beta on a DVD at home. How stable is it? I don't mind if VS crashes, but if it takes anything else with it in the fall, the wife will be rightly upset. It's her computer, after all...
Old 06-30-2005, 03:16 PM

Installing can be a pain if you have any previous 2005 beta products (SQLExpress, or any of the visual IDE's) installed. But they tell you what you have to remove so anyone smart enough to use VS will be smart enough to un-install all the items on the list pretty easily.

I haven't had it crash or lock up yet.