Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Software (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Interested in writing a Datamining App - advice needed (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=280869)

Surfbullet 06-26-2005 04:01 PM

Interested in writing a Datamining App - advice needed

heya Software forum,

I'm a regular in HUSH - I'd like to code my own datamining app for Party + affiliates. I just graduated from college with a degree in computer science, i've worked with Java, Perl, C++/C, Lisp, and i've had experience with algorithms and large school-based projects, but I haven't really worked on something *practical* like this for my own use.

Any recommendations for what language to use, and any programs that might assist me? I really don't even know where to start in terms of writing a program that is able to interface with Party's software.

Thanks!

Surf

OrcaDK 06-26-2005 04:36 PM

Re: Interested in writing a Datamining App - advice needed

Uhm, you've got a degree in computer science, but you don't know where to start when it comes to developing a program?

You can use any language you want to practically. C(++), Java, .NET, whatever. Win32 API calls is probably the way you want to look at.

waffle 06-26-2005 05:46 PM

if you're gonna use perl, win32::guitest is the way to go.

Surfbullet 06-26-2005 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhm, you've got a degree in computer science, but you don't know where to start when it comes to developing a program?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, we'd do stuff like "go home and write a B-tree" or "write a multithreaded client-server tic-tac-toe game in java." Theoretical crap. We didn't do useful stuff like writing a program so a don't have to manually open 16 tables every time I want to datamine [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Surf

OrcaDK 06-26-2005 07:58 PM

Don't worry, soon writing distributed automated data-mining apps will be standard examination requirements [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, i'll always recommend .NET, it's fast and easy to work with, if you can live with the requirements and limits it has.

handsome 06-26-2005 10:46 PM

This is difficult if you've never handled Windows API, but if you ever get around to it, tell me which messages I have to send to retrieve items from the systreelist and systreeview. kthx

JoshuaD 06-26-2005 10:53 PM

I'd do it in C if I was serious about doing it.

That said, I'd write it up in perl first to get all the design issues out of the way, trying to design while coding something in C is hell.

ckessel 06-27-2005 12:48 AM

I write software for a living and I can tell you the most work is going to be persistence. Find a good database and spend a lot of up front time figuring out your table structure.

I'm not normally DB centric in my design, but a data mining app is obviously data-centric.

OrcaDK 06-27-2005 06:45 AM

Since we're most likely going to be using PT for the actual import, a database won't be necessary. It's just a matter of opening and closing tables automatically.

AliasMrJones 06-27-2005 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since we're most likely going to be using PT for the actual import, a database won't be necessary. It's just a matter of opening and closing tables automatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're serious about datamining, I don't think this is a very good idea. Access as a database wouldn't be my first recommendation for a datamining app.