Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 02:11 PM

Default Re: i know im not the only one

[ QUOTE ]
Because to belieive in them is too suspend clear thinking. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that Mr. Sklansky would take the time to read through this book, but if you've ever wondered about logical, credible evidence(yes, I said evidence) of God and Jesus of Nazareth, pick up this book. It is very good(and convincing). It may not change your mind, but it may open it up a bit:

http://www.equip.org/store/details.asp?SKU=B463

[ QUOTE ]
About Author: Lee, a former atheist, holds a Master of Studies in Law degree from Yale Law School and was an award-winning legal editor of the Chicago Tribune. He is the author of numerous books, including the Gold Medallion winner "The Case for Christ" and also "The Case for Faith."

[/ QUOTE ]

The author didn't go to MIT, but he did go to Yale! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2004, 03:51 PM

ok, i'm not an expert on einstein, so that may not be the best example.

i think your'e a little too focused on the word "precise." many people who believe in god, heaven and hell, etc. have doubts about one dogmatic thing or another, or many things. in america in particular it is quite common to believe that god is intimately involved with human affairs but at the same time understand that many things people have tried to get others to believe, with good motivations or bad, can be or should be questioned.

it's also worth noting that you seem to be under the impression that the majority of people who align themselves with a particular religion absolutely believe every bit of dogma ever associated with it. this is far from true.

if you take b, for example, you would question the intelligence of those who believe that everything in the bible presented as such represents an actual event or a still-relevant command. well, so would i.

believing everything you've ever been taught about god is like reading hundreds of poems about, say, love and believing that everything in them perfectly represents the true nature of love.

i answer b. to your survey, but i would not say that i believe in a "precisely defined" god. i would say that i believe in an incomprehensible god who is continually trying to teach me more about him.

as for "precise myths," i believe that many myths of the bible are historically true and others may not be taken as such, but i believe everything in it has value and a purpose. i do believe in the fundamental historical accuracy of the gospels not necessarily beacuse of my indpendent research of the ancient world but because of my experiences of this one.

there exist supremely intelligent people who are also "religious" (i don't like that word and i typically don't refer to myself as such). the fact that many who are considered the most oustandingly brilliant are not so could be a result of their great scientific learning or it could be that their rejection of anything "religious" is part of what drove them to succeed in their field.

maybe the more you learn about the world the lesser is your ability to believe in god, or maybe the more you learn the greater is your pride in your own mind and the lesser your desire to be dependent on god.

i'm not pretending to understand so much, i'm just suggesting that there may be confounding variables at work that you havent considered.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:00 PM

"I guarantee you that almost all great physicists, chemists, and biologists who understand DNA in detail (Watson and Crick are atheists) do not believe"

Does the director of the Human Genome Project count?

Here and here are lists of famous scientists (with some overlap), including a number of Nobel laureates, who are Christians.

David, I don't understand how you make this guarantee. "Almost all" certainly doesn't sound right.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt that Mr. Sklansky would take the time to read through this book, but if you've ever wondered about logical, credible evidence(yes, I said evidence) of God and Jesus of Nazareth, pick up this book. It is very good(and convincing). It may not change your mind, but it may open it up a bit:

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont make me laugh. What evidence do that have? Sure someone could have existed in that time period and perceived as god or jesus but i highly doubt there is any credible evidence that person was truly a god! What, did he make himself levitate for everyone? Sh*t, i saw David Blaine do that.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Where Do You Fit In Religion Wise?

why would there be a god? just tell me what for. I think faith is a good thing if it makes you happy but all in all its bs. Im tired of people saying you gotta have faith, when faith is nothing. Why would there be a heaven or hell, right or wrong, up or down. I'm actually amazed how many people believe in god. They go on faith. FAITH!?!?? Its nothing but a word. A belief in what? something bigger then yourself. Why are people so insecure about there fate or reason for being. God isn't needed. I mean it would be nice if we all went to paradise when we died but c'mon people stop fooling yourselves its wishfull thinking at the most. Paradise....no such thing, much like god. People are led so easily it frightens me. Think about this. When we(well at least me) were young I actually believed there was a fat man in a red suit flying! around in a sleigh pulled by 8 reighndeer. I can remember when I actually believed this as a little kid. God is like santa clause for adults. Even though its a nice story...it's still fake. Makebelieve. Irrelevent. Do ants go to heaven? bacteria? With everything we as a race know and have proven religion still holds us back in the dark ages. 200 or so years ago people were burned at the stake for being witches!! still believe in witches? I sure hope not. Open your eyes and take this life for what it is.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:34 PM

read the book and find out.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
read the book and find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly...and do so with an open mind. You might be surprised.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:24 PM

Default B

I pick B. What do I win?