Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Re: ADHD and poker

That may very well be true, to a point. The military often gives amphetamines to pilots to keep them alert and awake during long missions. There is a fine line, however, between alertness and loss of control. Problem is, that those who self-administer substances invariably cross that line without realizing it. Using stimulant meds without precisely following a rx written for you is definately -EV in the long run. Your judgment will fade, while you will believe your judgment is actually razor sharp. The combination of the stimulant effect of the drug and the unperceived loss of judgment will destroy your bankroll.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:46 PM

I'm too to old to have been formally diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Back when I was a kid, I was just a "problem" for the teachers. My son has been diagnosed with it and we are just alike, so I am sure that I do have it.

Caffine works in a very similar fashion to Ritalin, so drinking lots of coffee works well for me in business as well as in poker. Multi-tabling works fine when playing on-line, but live I find that it helps to get up every few orbits and go for a quick walk, potty break, whatever.

The big problem is when your drinking coffee and get tired during long sessions. You don't really feel tired, but you are playing tired. The trick is to learn how to tell that you are playing tired. Failing that, you should consider limiting your sessions to some fixed # of hours. I think that I can now tell OK, but figuring it out has cost me a fair amount of $ along the way.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm too to old to have been formally diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. Back when I was a kid, I was just a "problem" for the teachers. My son has been diagnosed with it and we are just alike, so I am sure that I do have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many adults can benefit from the same meds as kids and increasingly are being evaluated and medicated. The important thing is to get a comprehensive psychological evaluation. Additionally, if the person in question has learned coping skills (and it seems you have) that work, meds are generally not recommended. I encourage people to see their MD for meds to treat ADHD once it has been properly diagnose, when they cannot cope with the ailment on their own AND when it is significantly interfering with work or relationships (key word there is "significantly").
Old 06-26-2004, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I've learned to live with it just fine. Actually, I think that it has had many advantages in my career. In fact, I'm not really sure that it's at all much of a disability outside of an education environment.

I can't remember the name of the book, but it uses a "Hunter vs. Gatherers" analogy for ADD folks (the Hunters) and the education establishment (the Gatherers). I enjoy being a Hunter!
Old 06-26-2004, 05:53 PM

I had ADD, and the benefits have certainly outweight the negatives over the course of my poker career so far.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:06 PM

So you're saying not being able to focus and concentrate as well as others has HELPED you in your poker career? How so? Maybe you use it to motivate you to try harder? Is this without Rx?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:15 PM

People with ADHD tend to do well in high stimulation environments. It's pretty paridoxical. So for these folks the typical classroom might not be stimulating ENOUGH to maintain attention. But things like video games and I guess internet poker are certainly stimulating enough to maintain that focus. Many ADHD kids report that they actually study better with a walkman on because the added layer of stimulation actually helps them focus.

Of course all people with ADD/ADHD work differently and each must learn how they work best.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:11 PM

Yeah it helps them focus better for THEM but not better than "normal" or "avereage" or non ADD/ADHD individuals. I wouldn't think anyway.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:52 AM

Bigbaitsim:

[ QUOTE ]
I encourage people to see their MD for meds to treat ADHD once it has been properly diagnose, when they cannot cope with the ailment on their own AND when it is significantly interfering with work or relationships (key word there is "significantly").

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a side thought here. I know very little about this topic, other than there are tons of kids diagnosed with ADD--perhaps too many. I recently had my first up close experience with ADD and its treatment. My nephew is 7 years old and he is a typical kid, but he *was* a bit rambuntious, and *was* not the best behaved kid. He was getting into some trouble at school and his parents were having a bit of a tough time with him. He was then diagnosed with ADD and given some meds (I do not know which ones). What I saw amazed me....he is most certainly not the same kid now. He is was more mellow now, very compliant...I hardly ever hear a peep from him. I know his parents are pleased, but sheesh...he is not the same kid at all! It was unbelieveable! He has a completely different personality now. I have 4 kids, and I gotta say, they would have to have some SIGNIFICANT issues, and I mean significant, before I would have them take meds that dramatically change their personality like that.

Of course, this particular case may not be the norm from both a diagnosis and treatment perspective.

--Rico
Old 06-28-2004, 10:25 AM

I don't agree with this statement. Adults and children are routinely prescribed daily doses of ritalin. Ritalin does not cure their ADD, the drug just causes them to focus as long as the drug is in their system. If taken in the same doses at the same frequency by a person who does not have ADD, that person would experience the same effect of heightened focus and concentration. They'd have about as much likelyhood as turning into addicts as those it is prescribed for. Which is not to say that dependency on Ritilin is non-existant. I'm just saying that taking ritalin, even on a daily basis, is not going to somehow reverse the effect of the drug or turn you into an addict.