Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Tricky turn?

I'm pretty sure we're agreeing on the flop bet (I couldn't think of a word better than counterweighted this morning, i meant slightly mitigated), but (Not to be too results oriented here) In this particular example a flop 3 bet would have most likely been met by a Button Cap, which may or may not have folded the eventual winning hand but which definitely would have told our hero to rethink assuming he is ahead on the flop and point him more towards drawing to one of his 4 nut outs. After a flop cap a turn check call on a rag would have been in order. This line is just as expensive as the one that was taken anyway, but perhaps he ends up with a strong second place hand instead of a bronze medal showing.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Results

I saw the results and still think you should have 3 bet the flop and led the turn. I think it'll hold up more often than not.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having this board checked through on
the turn would be a disaster. If you get raised again,
prepare to check call the river, unless some heavy action
occurs.

If you fill up on the river, bet again, as the
button may check something like AJ behind you, but will
most probably call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that letting this get checked through would be a disaster.

That said, if you get popped on the turn and call with the intention of check-calling without improvement, that's a fine plan.

But to suggest you should bet the end if you fill up because he might check a hand like AJ is clearly wrong. If you fill up on the end, you should seriously consider check-raising OR (my likely line/default) you should bet b/c you believe there is a good chance he will raise you again and you can three-bet. Depends on the player, but given the strength he's shown, I'd be thinking about how I can possibly get the most in on the end rather than operating from the premise that he would check a hand that's beating you on the turn.

-CW
Old 06-12-2004, 10:12 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a preflop raise. Although it would depend on the tendencies of the other players involved, assuming typical midlimit opposition, a raise seems much stronger than a call here for a number of reasons:

1. If the raise makes it considerably less likely for the button to play, buying the button is worthwhile.

2. A raise could fold bad aces from the button or the blinds. Doing so dramatically increases your chance to win the hand.

3. Against many limpers you stand to be a large favorite over their probable range of hands. Raise to isolate the weaker hands and get money in as a favorite. This is the number one reason for a preflop raise here and if these limpers are tight enough for this not to hold true the raise is probably incorrect.

The biggest advantage to just calling is, as I see it, to keep the pot small allowing you to better outplay your opponents and cause them to make bigger mistakes.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:22 AM

Raising three limpers with KQo isn't a great idea, What are you going to do if you get 3 bet? And I wouldn't put you as a preflop favorite over the field with that hand by any stretch.