Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: confessions of a marginal (for now) poker player)

Thanks for the link to Annie's article. It makes a lot of sense.
Regards,
Al
Old 06-07-2004, 07:45 PM

I have been saying the same thing about limiting losses for several years, but many people have disagreed with me. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2004, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been saying the same thing about limiting losses for several years, but many people have disagreed with me. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
For some reason most poker authorities seem to believe that an impaired player (tilt, fatigue, alcohol, etc.) is both aware of the severity of his impairment and able to stop playing when he should.

I have no idea why they believe this. Research on drinking and driving does not support it. People think they are fine when their coordination is shot.

Software engineers who pull all-nighters swear they are just fine. I've done it myself and watched others do it. Self-delusion at its finest.

The widespread existence of tilting is a direction contradiction--all tilters should recognize their problem and quit immediately. Yeah, right.

But I shouldn't be too harsh on poker experts. The medical community encourages doctors who have been awake for 24 hours straight to keep going [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. If I ruled the world I'd revoke their licenses. Certainly if they don't know better than I can't expect mere poker players to get it.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:48 AM

There are lots of docs in my family, and they have told me many horror stories. It is against the law to fly an airplane or drive a truck for more than a fairly limited number of hours. Interns and residents routinely work 36 consecutive hours, and they are EXTREMELY dangerous.
One close relative told me that she fell asleep standing up while holding retractors during a dangerous operation. If a nurse hadn't caught her, she could have killed that patient. That sort of problem happens hundreds of times every day. In fact, virtually any doctor will tell you that his butt was saved by a nurse more than once. They catch exhausted docs prescribing lethal amounts of drugs, or combinations of drugs with disasterous interaction effects.
Exhausted people cannot fly airplanes, drive trucks, practice medicine effectively, or play poker well.
Regards,
Al
Old 06-08-2004, 06:30 AM

My father in law is a long distance truck driver from Texas. The last time we went to visit him we were at a truck stop and he was playing pac man on a vidio game. I asked him why and he said.."When driving long distances its easy to convince yourself you are fine up to seconds befor falling asleep. Therefore I take a break at truck stops to play pac man. The score gives me objective result that I can use to judge my reaction time and you can find these games everywhere. That made sense to me. Why judge ones own abilities whild drinking, sleep deprivation, tilt, whatever with ones own judgement when you can use a yardstick that dosent change?