Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Antonio\'s bad attitude

[ QUOTE ]
but come on...calling time on someone...how immature is that

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree in general, but Bill Gazes was acting particularly strange at that point in the game, and he was also annoying. He acted like he had called "raise", and then forgot what he was doing. If you watched Gazes' table camera both before and after that hand, his hand were trembling as he looked at his cards. And soon after that hand (soon in WPT time), he was wandering around the room when the action was to him, forgetting he was still in the game. And we don't know what else may have been edited out. Antonio may have just been trying to get him focused.

That said, Antonio is equally annoying and often juvenile, and no one I'd want to go out for a few beers with after the game, but a good mix of different types of players makes for an interesting game. And guys like Antonio are like pro wrestling characters; you can immediately take a strong emotional stand of rooting for or against him. You know the old saying (that I just made up): there's no business that's not show business.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Antonio is great, he makes watching them play alot more fun.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:38 PM

He is great for the game. He will bring more people to poker who think "any two can win". When you make the game appear to be lots of fun, you only help it. Personally, I can't wait to see people doing the wave at my table and raising with 72o, while I quietly rake in all the chips.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:46 PM

calling time on someone...how immature is that

Wait a minute. Gazes says "raise" and then sits there like a statue and you think Antonio acted badly?
Old 04-29-2004, 05:31 PM

Gazes was the most annoying guy I've seen on there since that Tony guy in Paris. The way he would say something then stare at Antonio was driving me nuts. Yeah.. we know you are trying to get a read.

Antonio is a sleazy little guy, but I like the way he plays at a final table.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:46 PM

I've played w/ Antonio a couple of times. He was alway very nice, down to earth, humble.
I think he was very, very excited to make the final table in the largest WPT to date. There was literally hundreds of thousands of dollars riding on every card, so I think that's what got him so amped. I know he comes across like an attention whore, sleazy, classless player on TV, but I can say that it hasn't been the case every time I've played at his table.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:48 PM

Default Re: notice how every raise was to 69,000

Missed the first half because the OC was on. What I did see was the most entertaining event so far. I agree that Antonio can be a little over the top some times. But so can Phil H, Scotty N, Layne F, etc, etc. I agree that the diversity is what makes it sooo goood.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:34 PM

i haven't seen the episode as i don't have tv in my apt [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], but i think that having a variety of different more outgoing personalities is great for the show and for poker...if all the players were the more serious "thinking" lederer/ivey types then new viewers would only have to watch one episode...from a non poker players point of view i would imagine that the poker part of the show seems relatively similar for all the shows, its the characters that will bring them back to watch the show again and take some active interest in poker...
Old 04-30-2004, 04:46 AM

Default Re: notice how every raise was to 69,000

[ QUOTE ]
Missed the first half because the OC was on

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be ashamed of yourself.

That being said, I agree with the majority that he does make for a good viewing experience. But, like someone mentioned earlier, the wave has got to go...
Old 04-30-2004, 08:27 AM

Yess