Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 04:13 AM

Default Re: 30-60 Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Clarkmeister is not a checker and caller. If he raises, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not usually perhaps, but I think an expert player could make a somewhat loose call on the flop with position and against an opponent who:

a) Would be likely to 3-bet with a relatively narrow range of hands before the flop, making him more readable;
b) Is likely to push his hands too far after the flop, making him susceptible to a slowplay, or a Mason-style checking-and-call strategy when up against a good-but-not-great hand;
c) Is capable of folding.

The reason that he could make a loose call on the flop is because of the additional equity that he gains from the potential to bluff this type of opponent off his hand if a favorable card comes on the turn.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:52 AM

Depending on how things have gone in the past and what we're thinking of each other, I would check the turn here a lot against you. I would also do this with overpairs equally frequently as well.

GoT
Old 04-28-2004, 05:13 AM

im looking to keep my poker records and i hear stat king is the best. how do i get my hands on this feature, any information concerning stat king would be much apprciated. thank you
Old 04-28-2004, 05:16 AM

Poker is a game of decisions and I will give you my reasons why I'm folding this hand preflop.

1) Clarky raised coming in.
2) I'm out of position.
3) I'm only committed for $15.
4) If I don't flop to my hand I'm going to find myself bluffing or even semibluffing it all the way down.
5) There is a reasonable chance I can be outplayed postflop.

Old 04-28-2004, 05:43 AM

Given what you think of "me", I would 3-bet if you raise, but then fold to a 4-bet, or check-fold the river if I don't improve.

Same if you just call my turn bet. I probably check-fold the river unless an A or Q comes. It would be different if the board had some real draws.

Old 04-28-2004, 06:48 AM

I think most people bet the turn much too often in this spots, and good players can take advantage by calling the flop with good hands and then raising the turn. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what's going on here. Similar to what I think GoT said, I check the turn here a lot, and do a good deal of check-raising.

I would bet the turn occasionally here, and given that I did, I suppose I fold to the raise. If he just calls, then I might check-call the river (hey, a good reason not to raise with some hands in Clark's spot).
Old 04-28-2004, 07:32 AM

GuyOnTilt,

Are you suggesting checking and calling the turn, or checking and folding to a bet?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:36 AM

AQo is an f'n monster here. . .
Old 04-28-2004, 07:41 AM

Hey Karlson,

I posted a hand few days ago about playing the turn in sitautions like this when you have missed the flop and are out of position. I really think it's just player dependant. Since Clark knows the SB is capable of 3 betting him with a variety of hands, I think he might smooth call the flop looking to outplay him on the turn given the oppertunity. I think leading again might be the right play here. If he were up agaist a more straight forward opponent, who would only bet the turn if he did indeed have a pair, then I would be in favor of checking. Or if Clark were the type who would always bet if checked to, then obviously check calling the hand down wuold be the way to play it. I agree that you need to occationally check raise the turn in these spots with some of your better hands to keep opponents from thinking they can bet everytime you check. Bottom line is, being out of position with no pair just plain sucks.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:11 AM

Clarky I wouldn't even have seen the flop. My cards hit the muck preflop.

You wouldnt defend against a blind stealer like the "human chip rack" with AQ?

Come on Mikey [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]