Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Zee\'s H/LSPFAP O/8 playing preflop guidance

To me, "outplaying an opponent" on the later rounds means playing the hand better (more profitably) than they would have played it. This can mean many different things. Some that come to mind are betting for value when they would have checked, raising for value when they would have called, raising to get a free card on the next round, and folding when they would have called (money saved spends just as well as money won).
Old 04-10-2004, 01:07 AM

Most of what you cite are instances where you do something better (we hope) than your opponent when he is in the same spot. "Outplaying" your opponent, as the term is usually used on this board, refers to what you do in a confrontation with your opponent. You are not wrong if you say you outplay someone because you play better than he does, but that's not how the word is usually used, from what I've seen, and it definitely isn't how the word is used in the context above.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:42 AM

Can you give other examples of "outplaying" other than getting your opponent to fold when he should call?

Wouldn't getting extra bets from your opponents when you have the best hand be outplaying them?
Old 04-10-2004, 03:46 PM

Outplaying can mean getting them to fold when they should call, call when they should fold, folding where you should (where they would have called), enticing them to bet an inferior hand into you, getting them to check where they should bet, getting them to bet where they should check, etc. There is a lot more to outplaying your opponents than just getting to them to fold where they should call.

Don
Old 04-10-2004, 04:04 PM

If you "outplay" your opponents on later streets, of course that would include anything that increases your ev above and beyond what your opponent would be able to do in the same circumstance. Knowing how to get them to fold is important, but only one piece of the puzzle. Why, in this context, would it only mean being able to make them fold?

Don
Old 04-10-2004, 05:25 PM

I agree.

I'm outplayed when I have no read on my opponent but my opponent is reading me like a book - when I don't know when to call or raise from when to fold - but my opponent does know.

Buzz