Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Another preflop question

In my 9 handed live game I would raise with all of the hands listed most of the time with the exception of QJs which I probably limp with.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:23 PM

I normally just call with all these hands when I am in EP vs. an EP limper. If I am in MP and I think I can get it headsup, I will raise more.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:05 AM

I assume a 15/30 game in Vegas has a 2/3 small blind. If so, have you selected that to make it easier to enhance your Action Jackson image?
Old 02-06-2004, 09:18 AM

hi rt
there's really no one default play in this situation. if the limper is tight and would tend to check-call the flop unless he made a pair higher than yours, your hand is contingent upon the flop. a tight opponent also isn't going to give you a whole lot of action if you hit the flop. if you call, you risk getting reraised. so, you must look left before you enter in.

as you do more and more of these threads, you start to try to rewrite the post a little as you zero in on the real issue. sometimes, a poster will throw down some cards and a situation and pose a question about it that isn't important, but the cards and situation he presents contains an important question the poster didn't at first realize.

what is your defacto line of play? well chuck that.

rt, let me see if i understand your question. you want to know what to look for when you make your look left so that you can decide whether to enter or not? is that correct? ok.

first, you must be in control of the table. if you're not in control of the table, your opponents will not tell you what they're going to do. often, you'll hear some player ask another, 'hey mansk, que pasa?'. he wants the player to tell him what he is going to do if he limps or raises in. he wants to know if he will get reraised, or called for that matter. well, a player in the field who over-hears all this can adjust his read depending on the situation, but we won't get into that.

if you have control over the table, look left. if the left is behaving, and your definition of behaving and mine may be two different things here rt, but if they are behaving, then allow a couple on your left to call after you have called. but if they are not behaving, look left and say, 'alright, i said behave did i not?', and muck.

good question rt. thank-you for the post.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:27 AM

I selected 15-30 because I prefer to play at the Bellagio. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My default is to muck all of the above UTG. If you play looser than me, I'm sure your answer will be "call." If you play as tight as me, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]
either the games u play in are too tough, or you are TOO tight to fully exploit the good games you are in.

[ QUOTE ]
Suppose there's one EP limper (either UTG or UTG+1). You're in either UTG+2 or UTG+3. What is your default play with 88? 77?

[/ QUOTE ]
i will call (over limp, or re-limp) more than fold and raise less than call here, depending on the game condition.

[ QUOTE ]
What about hands such as KJs, QJs or AJ offsuit?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'd over-limp most of the time with KJs and QJs, raise and call about equally with AJo, very rarely (ALMOST NEVER) i will fold after one limper with these hands.

Kenny

ps. don't come near my game, every open seat is reserved for my fishes... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2004, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm apparently Action Jackson compared to most of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am Action Jackson's cousin, Asian Action Jackson...

once i played in a Friday Borgata 20-40 game, another you ng Asian player commented on my tightness, "you are too tight, you haven't seen a flop for 3 rounds". i was offended. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Kenny
Old 02-06-2004, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Suppose there's one EP limper (either UTG or UTG+1). You're in either UTG+2 or UTG+3. What is your default play with 88? 77?

What about hands such as KJs, QJs or AJ offsuit?

My default is to muck all of the above UTG. If you play looser than me, I'm sure your answer will be "call." If you play as tight as me, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd usually muck 88 or 77, except in the rare cases that it's a very passive game, with many limpers seeing most flops. If it's a VERY tight game, you might get away with isolating the limper with a raise. It's one of those hands that's probably best to mix up your play with from time to time, but usually it goes in the muck for me.

More than likely, I'd muck the AJo. With KJs and QJs, I'd probably muck except for a passive game.

I guess my style of play doesn't lend itself to certain hands. I either like to open raise, re-raise or fold in most cases. If I limp, it's usually with a drawing hand and a fair certainty that I'm going to get a lot of company. The exceptions would be limping with AA or KK in a very tight/aggressive game.

[/ QUOTE ]

u too tight too...
Old 02-06-2004, 10:52 AM

Default best said, N/M