Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Re: the true value of this website

I started playing for fun and rapidly found out that good poker is, as you say, not fun. The upside is that good poker can make your car payment, even at low limits and very part time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2004, 02:14 PM

Agree with all the above. Most people just don't wanna take the time. I have a friend who could be really really good, but he doesn't wanna read or study, in his words "I'll just learn my lessons at the tables." Very expensive that.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Another True Value...

I'm looking to get my game to where I can do this for my living. I find that the number of people here making significant money at this game works to make this site a site for a certain kind of networking that is standard in ALL other professions. You learn stuff here not just via direct "theory lessons" but through the anecdotal evidence of reading other people's adventures in making serious dough at the tables.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't be more true IMHO. Diet books rule the bestseller lists, but there's still a lotta fatties out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I resemble that remark [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

TheRake
Old 01-22-2004, 07:49 PM

I realize that arriving at the level to play good poker takes time. But what do the profitable players study to arrive at such a level? Surely it can't be only this site. I've read a few books (Theory of Poker, HEPFAP, and parts of Super System) but it seems like the best lessons come at the table, which are proving to be expsensive.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but it seems like the best lessons come at the table, which are proving to be expsensive

[/ QUOTE ]

They do, and they are. Reason number one why it's best to start at the lower limits.

Most people don't truly understand something until they do it themselves. They may read about it, study it, even be able to recite it back (or even teach it); but it's not until they actually take the time and go do it that something finally clicks and they get it.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:40 PM

Learning Poker is like Riding a bike. Yes, you can study angular momentum calculations and understand WHY the bike stands up when the wheels are moving, and you can be told the mechanics of peddling vis-a-vis the tires and the gears and how the handle bars change your direction.

Never-the-less, you can only ride a bike after falling down several times and gain a good "feel" for it.

The "secret" is to insure you fall down in a reasonably safe environment: nobody sends their 5 year old to learn on the highway.

For poker, that can easily mean playing Turbo Holdem or a 50c game until you are beating it, and beating it "comfortably". "Comfortably" means you know what's going on.

- Louie
Old 01-23-2004, 08:10 PM

I have found these forums to be a very very big help to my poker game. One mistake people make is reading these forums (and books) to find out "what" they should be thinking at the table. I read to find out "how" I should be thinking. After you figure that out, the "what" part should come naturally.