Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 05:18 AM

Default Re: How are they enforcing this?

Earlier today one of my roommates who already has empire and party accounts was trying to open a multi account and got this message. He was using a different email address and screenname than his current two accounts.

On a whim I let him try to create the account on my computer and it let him create the account. I have no idea why it would do this since the IP addresses of both computers would be the same since they are on a router, he entered the same information on both computers and I've created accounts at all the skins on my computer.

This situation basically ruined any theory I had as to how the skins were detecting that you already had an account.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:53 AM

cool, so this is another one of those programs that makes it against the rules to try to get signed up for the different sites, but you might not even know it if you happened to try from a new computer, say a Christmas present?

So they really don't care if you have accounts at all, they just don't encourage it? I wonder if they will later close accounts and hold money if they find out that you have accounts? I doubt they will bother people who already had several accounts...in general they seem to "grandfather" previous situations.

Anyway, keep looking for skins that "get it right" as far as how to allow players to get the benefits of all the skins, but not have the hassle of multiple bankrolls/accounts and wasted marketing money to get people to move from skin A to skin B.

Golden Palace only allows one real money account, but their promotions are almost universal, and you only get one initial deposit bonus. Prima supposedly only allows one sign up bonus, but the promotions are different. The greatly encourage multiple accounts with this practice. I believe ACR and its skins have different promotions in some ways. I do not know about the PokerClub, or TigerGaming skins.

There will be some new sites next year that are starting and may do a better job of software and promotions.

Old 12-22-2003, 12:06 AM

HI THERE,

I JUST OPENED AN EMPIRE ACCOUNT LIKE A MONTH AGO AND I HAVE PARTY, ARE U USING THE SAME EMAIL ADDY, MAYBE THATS IT BECAUSE I GET BONUSES AND RELOAD BONUSES FROM BOTH SITES.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
have no idea why it would do this since the IP addresses of both computers would be the same since they are on a router

[/ QUOTE ]

IP addresses by definition has to be different for your two computers. IP addresses are used to direct network traffic to a particular destination. (i.e. individual computers)

Go to your computer open a command prompt and type ipconfig this will show your IP address. Since your two computers are on a same router they will be almost the same, but different. e.g. x.xx.xx.1 vs x.xx.xx.2

If the IP is what party is keying off of to determine whether you have another account of not. Try the following (if you only have one computer, not connected to a router).

ipconfig (note your ip address, write it down)

ipconfig -release (this will relese the ip address, if you have DHCP)

ipconfig -renew (this will ask the DHCP server for a new adress) You do have to wait between the two commands, if you do it right away you will probably get the same address back. See if you have a new IP adress.

SamJack

P.S. If you try above and your internet connection is broken, I cannot be responsible. Sorry.

Old 12-22-2003, 04:44 PM

Maybe I misunderstood how the firewall on this router worked, I'm not going to be able to double check for about a week since I went home for xmas.
I am aware that the two computers have different IP addresses in the form you said, but I was under the impression that the IP address of the computers themselves was never seen by someone outside the network and that all traffic with any computer on the network was done as if it were being done with the IP address of the router. Therefore from party's point of view the IP of the two computers would appear to be the same. I could be mistaken about this but that was the impression the router manual gave me. I'll double check this when I get back and see if it is the case or not.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:08 PM

There are several ways they could accomplish this. All newer computers have hardware ID'S that are software accessible. They could be logging this. I doubt that they would use IP addresses, because that changes every time you connect for dialup connections. They could also be using a registry entry or file on your computer that isn't removed by the uninstall. They could also be comparing email address, name mailing address, etc. when you sign up. You might try a different email address when you try to create an account on the other skin.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:16 PM

I doubt they are using IP addresses. This would not work for dialup connections because those use dynamicly assigned IP addresses: The IP changes every time you dial in. If you have a network card in your machine, it has a unique identifier. Also, I believe that Pentium III and later processors have a serial number that is software accessible. They are probably using one or more of these hardware identifiers to identify accounts from the same computer.