Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 01:47 PM

Default Re: A SOP (standard operating procedure) for AK AQ \'chasing\'.

Quote:
2. Do I have pot odds to hunt an overcard? You'll need 7:1 to hunt an A or K, more often than not you'll have pot odds if there are at least 2 opponents.

With 5 cards to come, the probability of hitting A or K is 48% which is about 2:1 odds.

flopman
Old 12-08-2003, 01:53 PM

Well problem with AK or AQ is that the A is not always a clean out since many people play Ax and might have hit their x card. Then we`re drawing very slim.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 5 cards to come, the probability of hitting A or K is 48% which is about 2:1 odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

flopman,

This is postflop.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 01-27-2004, 02:46 PM

generally speaking...you will do fine if you only chase 4 to the flush draws and open ended straight draws after the flop. There are instances when you have a big pot and only a couple of opponents (maybe everyone else folded to a flop bet) so that it becomes a reasonable hand to draw at on the turn. Also, maybe your marginal overcards also have a gutshot draw or a runner runner flush draw..these could give you just enough of a little boost to get you over the hump.

But chasing hands that are possibly dominated or against a hand that is already a made hand can be very expensive when you are wrong and hit.

Bubs
Old 03-11-2004, 05:25 PM

But if that happens you will know by a raise more than likely, letting you know your AK AQ is no good.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:42 AM

Joe's post is fabulous... is there any collection of favorite posts such as this? I really would like to read some of the older posts, but this board is very difficult for me to search. Is there any way to condense the threads to easier scan them?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:56 AM

Default Favorite posts thread.

Link
Old 03-23-2004, 10:45 AM

One other thing to consider, is 'are the rest of the players left to act coldcallers, or limpers?' because the range of hands will probably be better defined and of higher quality with coldcallers.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:25 PM

the problem i run into a lot is the board being *slightly* coordinated and me getting sucked in when i put my lone opponent on a draw and fire all the way.

more often than not mr. check-caller is in fact on a draw and i can take it down on the river where if i checked through i might lose to a small pair of X's that was caught with his/her QXs. but i still think that this might be a leak....

so is the board being small but slightly coordinated a good thing against one or two opponents since the chances they are drawing is better and will give it up on the river?

this might sound like backwards thinking...but i think there is some sort of reverse implied odds at work here since if you are called on a raggedy flop with no obvious draws you are more likely up against someone with a piece (or someone chasing the same overcards as you).

are i dumb?