Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: set to set

I didn't know you were funny.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:08 AM

I can't see UTG keep going with AK spades. With a raise of more than 3 times his bet he should fold. If UTG keeps calling draws he will loose a lot of money in the long run.
Plus we don't know UTG's stack size compaired to Hero's. If he had 4 times the amount then I can see the draw call but if they are similar then I don't see it.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:17 AM

Why does it matter that the raise is more than 3 times his bet? He's getting 3-1 on the call with the rest of the stack going in if he hits his spade on the turn, and he wouldn't be miserable if he hit the A or K.

Calling with a draw won't make you go broke. Not here.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:44 AM

why check on the turn though. you can't give him a free card if he flopped a straight and a flush draw. i disagree with the turn check and the river call.
ps... chaos am i understanding you correctly? you would call the flop raise with only the nut flush draw and overcards? would you call the turn push with just a pair of aces and the flush draw? i just wanted to clarify what you would do about the push on the turn with the AK. wasn't trying to be condescending about calling with the AK on the flop. i don't think that is a bad move, depending on the situation.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know you were funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll amend my earlier post.

Hero should check turn.

If the river is a spade, hero should fold to an allin. Hero should call a smaller bet, or call any bet if river is blank. In any case, if villain checks on the river, hero should make a moderate value bet.

Here is why you check the turn: villain is way ahead/way behind much more often than he is drawing.

Villain raised 4xbb from UTG. What does this mean? Most of the time, this means that villain has one of these hands: AK, AQ, TT-AA. MAYBE some big suited cards. Most often, it's AK, QQ-AA. A lot of times JJ,TT,AQ will limp first in.

Now, villain bets the T97 two spades flop, gets raised huge, and calls.

Ordinarily, we might put villain on a variety of hands, some of which are draws, like QJ, 89, two random spades.

However, since villain raised UTG, we don't. There are five legit raising hands that have flopped draws here, AK spades, AQ spades, AJ spades, KQ spades (?), and (I suppose) JJ.

TT has flopped a bigger set. AA-KK are definitely calling. QQ may fold to the action.

Now, the turn comes A. This is an action killer! Obviously any big spade draw will stick around, and AAA, TTT will stick around, but everyone else is folding to the turn allin.

Hero is losing to the hand range that calls a bet on the turn. 3 combos of AA, 3 combos of TT, four spade draws that still have a fair amount of equity vs. hero.

Checking as if the A is a scare card for hero accomplishes two good things: first off, if villain has a set, villain is likely to make a value bet on the river rather than all-in, since he might think hero is unable to call a big bet. If villain does not have a set, then villain may become suspicious enough of the check to check/call a river value bet with something like QQ.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:50 PM

Oh, good post. I guess you're not funny. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]