Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Loose Game Strategy Adjustments

So let me see if I understand you correctly. I'm sitting on pocket AA on the button, the preflop is capped with everyone in the pot and no intentions folding, and the flop comes all hearts. I should continue to bet my pocket aces even though the other players have implied odds against me.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:36 PM

"So let me see if I understand you correctly. I'm sitting on pocket AA on the button, the preflop is capped with everyone in the pot and no intentions folding, and the flop comes all hearts. I should continue to bet my pocket aces even though the other players have implied odds against me."

No, he's not saying that. If you can't see that you're either terribly versed in basic hold 'em strategy, or your mincing Dynasty's words to the point that it's laughable. The point wasn't that black aces are screwed when the flop comes T98 all hearts. The point was that big pocket pairs don't need to "limit the field" or "destroy implied odds;" the point was that you should be very happy getting a crapload of bets in the pot when you're a *huge* favorite.

Dan
Old 07-07-2003, 09:18 PM

You did not understand me correctly. For clarity, reread the appropriate post.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:25 PM

Excuse me, the question was how to play big pairs in a loose/aggresive game. I said that since they do not play well against a multi way pot (in other words players are not going to fold, regardless if you raise and thus are more likely going to out draw you), you should fold them unless you flop a set. The next time the both of you are in AZ please let me know as I can always use an extra fish at the table. You guys are probably the ones that are always complaining how you got a bad beat to a back door flush while sittiing on pocket rockets. Just as S&M says "a good player is able to fold otherwise good hands (i.e AA) in the right situation at the right time.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:01 PM

Why do people who disagree with you have to be fish? Earlier you used a most unlikely scenario to try to rebut Dynasty's argument concerning Aces. Moreover, you appeal to authority </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Just as S&amp;M says "a good player is able to fold otherwise good hands (i.e AA) in the right situation at the right time. "

[/ QUOTE ] But Your Authorities support Dynasty's position. You should reread HEFAP. As for </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
"a good player..."

[/ QUOTE ] I suppose you claim to be this good player.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:13 PM

Dude, are you trolling or just in a weak-tight/dense state of mind? Flop a set with a big pair against the field or fold, you must be kidding. I'll let others elaborate.

Dan

P.S. Not to be condescending and/or get into a pissing contest, but I think my strategy would do better in a typical 4/8 to 15/30 than yours. I'm *certain* that Dynasty has a much higher expectation than you in the same games.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:24 PM

I don't know which version of HEPFAP you guys are reading, but turn to page 125 of the twenty first edition. I quote "If your pair is JJ or TT, it is extremely important to bet into most flops, since there are many overcards that can beat you. However, if an overcard is present on the flop and you are check-raised, you usually should give it up. Ocasionally, you might look at the turn card. But unless you make a SET, you generally should fold on fourth street if your opponent bets." I use COMMON SENSE and take it one step further, if I have ANY big pair especially AA and the flop comes all suited, I fold unless one of my aces is of the same suit, or I've flopped a set. I rest my case.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:13 PM

Nowhere in Dan or Dynasty's posts did they say "play like a retard when the flop comes highly unfavorable".

They are talking about preflop play. Would you rather have AA against 7 players for 1 bet each preflop, or against 7 players for 4 bets each preflop?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:15 PM

"I use COMMON SENSE and take it one step further,...."

In my neck of the words going one step past common sense becomes nonsense.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:43 PM

Default What\'s up with the newbies ragging on Dynasty today? *NM*