Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: River call...

[ QUOTE ]
That's why you need to cap the flop. You aren't going to like any heart. You also won't like any A/K/5. And even T/J/Q aren't going to like very appetizing.

[/ QUOTE ]

when you say there are a whole bunch of turns that we won't like you are implicitly saying that our equity isn't that great. I like the line krishan took, it allows us to put in 2bbs on favorable turns and just one on nasty ones.

if you cap the flop you are setting yourself up for a lot of check raises on the turn, I think.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's why you need to cap the flop. You aren't going to like any heart. You also won't like any A/K/5. And even T/J/Q aren't going to like very appetizing.

[/ QUOTE ]

when you say there are a whole bunch of turns that we won't like you are implicitly saying that our equity isn't that great. I like the line krishan took, it allows us to put in 2bbs on favorable turns and just one on nasty ones.

if you cap the flop you are setting yourself up for a lot of check raises on the turn, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sometimes play a little odd, but I check behind a lot of those scary turns after capping the flop. Basically, any heart, 5, or Ace I check behind on the turn and call a river bet. If the turn is non-scary, I will bet it and fold to a raise.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: River call... (4-flush board)

I prefer a turn raise here despite the heart. A big part of his hand range is 5s and worse PPs. Sometimes he'll have hit a flush or flopped a boat but that's why I fold to the turn 3bet. Also, I get to check thru on nasty rivers like a 4th flush card.

I do like waiting for the turn better than capping the flop, I like to get more info (the turn card and my opponent's action) before I decide to put another raise for value in. I hate capping b/c it sets me up for a c/r, probably because I don't check behind on bad cards on the turn.

Surf
Old 11-22-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: River call... (4-flush board)

I'd definitely consider the turn raise/fold.

However your question was bout the river call. I thought about it for a while and flopped back and forth on it. Seems close at 9-1 vs agg opponent. I'd probably make a crying call and hope to see a non heart 5 or lesser pp enough to make the river call +EV.....but not be real sure bout it.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:03 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How about raising the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the original plan. I guess I didn't like the heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly why i think you should cap the flop. if youre going to miss out on value when like 1/3 of the deck comes off, then just pump the pot when you know youre best
Old 11-22-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly why i think you should cap the flop. if youre going to miss out on value when like 1/3 of the deck comes off, then just pump the pot when you know youre best

[/ QUOTE ]

Can some of you comment on my thought that the third suited card on the turn might actually constitute an additional reason to raise the turn? Maybe this hand isn't the best example (though maybe it is), but like I said before, I find myself naturally more inclined to bet a turn when that third suited card comes, particularly if I was the last aggressor on the flop.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the correction to this is to raise the turn instead of missing EV b/c things might get hairy, not pump the flop... I think the turn raise is the greater EV route given that we can forego a raise on particularly bad cards and do some other fun things like raise for free SD or value bet the river depending on what comes off.

It's bad thinking IMO to say that b/c krishan missed value by not raising the turn he should raise the flop instead... he should just raise the turn and not miss out on the value that his intended line would get him.

Surf
Old 11-22-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Can some of you comment on my thought that the third suited card on the turn might actually constitute an additional reason to raise the turn? Maybe this hand isn't the best example (though maybe it is), but like I said before, I find myself naturally more inclined to bet a turn when that third suited card comes, particularly if I was the last aggressor on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, so long as we expect to be ahead enough that the bet is for value...the 3rd suited card does well to protect our hand since hands with 6 outs to our pair will often fold without the suited card, while on the other side of the coin hands that may have given up will now call if they picked up a flush draw. It also saves us from being raised or reraised by some worse hands b/c of fear of the flush.

Surf