Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: 77 with position against a TAG.

I always thought the nightmare scenario with a pair like 77 is being sandwiched between two good hands. You must like a challenge.

Luckily, the flop comes 8 high, so you might get off the hook. God help you if Button slowplayed anything.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:42 AM

OK...I'm playing with pokerstove today

Your hand 77 v an Opponent open-raising 11.6% of hands (88+,A8s+,KTs+,QJs+,ATo+,KJo+)
=equity of 44% (77) v 56% (Open-raiser)

Your hand (77) v open raiser v one 50% donk (any suited, all broadway off, any ace, off suit connectors 65+)
=equity of 33% (77) v 43% (open-raiser) v 24% (donk)

Your hand (77) v open raiser v two 50%s donk (any suited, all broadway off, any ace, off suit connectors 65+)
=equity of 26% (77) v 34% (open-raiser) v 20%X2 (donks)

Your hand (77) v open raiser v three 50%s donk (any suited, all broadway off, any ace, off suit connectors 65+)
=equity of 21% (77) v 28% (open-raiser) v 17%X3 (donks)

maybe, the call is not so bad. Maybe, it is. You go from being an underdog on your money, to being just above even money on what you put in the pot preflop.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:03 AM

PokerStove is nice but it won't help you to know where you are in the hand when 2 overcards land. 33% equity is a bit deceiving IMO. Its true that you have the equity but you'll have a harder time taking this hand to the river against 2 opponents, especially if some overcards show up.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 AM

what is alll thise 3bet or fold nonsense? folding is clearly worse than coldcalling.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:54 AM

Here are some more thoughts:

- Would you bet tempted to make this play with a bigger pair?

- One poster specifically said I would be in pain of a bigger pair smooth called behind me. This is, of course, unlikely. But it weighs in about as much as if I 3-bet and was either capped by AK from MP2 or smooth-called with a big pair. I would even argue that the big pair smooth call is more likely if a heads up situation with MP2.

- If I'm 3-bet behind, I have a much clearer picture where I stand yes? Than if I 3-bet and am cold called behind.

- In a more general poker sense, how does position of the open raisor and my position relative to the button effect this hand.

I haven't seen anyone post something that makes me think one way is definitively better than the other. I think there are good arguments for both sides. I do both and change it up.

- Jim
Old 11-16-2005, 11:56 AM

If my seat sucks and I have loose players on my right I like to ditch this preflop. I think the flop raise, however, is very straightforward and valuable. I'm probably mucking to a three bet, however.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:59 AM

(a) I haven't read any replies

(b) not 3-betting here is fine or at least close enough that... whatever.

(c) the pot isn't so big that your raise shouldn't chase away the button and potentially buy you some outs.

(d) you're ahead a lot here.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One poster specifically said I would be in pain of a bigger pair smooth called behind me. This is, of course, unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens to me all the freaking time. Though it happens when I am MP2. Maybe I should just rejoice that I didn't get drilled preflop. The rest of your point: fair enough.

[ QUOTE ]

- If I'm 3-bet behind, I have a much clearer picture where I stand yes? Than if I 3-bet and am cold called behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the best case for the cold-call. But does it outweigh the pain of taking a flop 3-handed for two bets with a middle pair?

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen anyone post something that makes me think one way is definitively better than the other. I think there are good arguments for both sides. I do both and change it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm coming around to your point of view. But here's something to consider--what do you do if the flop comes J high instead of 8 high?
Old 11-16-2005, 04:35 PM

as far as a J high flop...it's much easier to raise on. I believe matthew Hilger had a good chapter on this in his book. One high card flops are good to bluff and/or be aggressive with, especially TAGs. The idea is that the high card could hit a decent hand that would scare the opponent who would fear you have at least that card and might have him reverse dominated. If people play back, you are in trouble. But, you know where you stand.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:48 PM

I played exactly the same way in a hand today with 88 EP raises, 1 cold-caller in mine and I call from the CO. 3 to flop and I raise a jack high flop after pre-flop raisor made his continuation bet.

So I have played this the same way but as I know nothing we could both be wrong!