Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Beating loose players

yes that is what i meant
Old 10-14-2005, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As soon as a serious poker player with a real reply to my original note can answer, the happier I will be.
Please, only serious answers.
Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]
The first two answers are perfect. Play in these games a lot, and never complain or berate an opponent for calling a raise with T3o or other crappy hands. This is the best way to make money at poker, have opponents call you when they have little chance to win.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:15 PM

A serious answer is just keep doing what you are doing. In the long run "YOU MUST WIN, PERIOD"! It's nerve racking I know, but just hang in there.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Example : blinds are at 10 - 20 and I am big blind. I have pocket 10's. 5 callers to the blind so I raise to 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, your opponent's play was absolute garbage but you shouldn't complain about losing to bad play. If you ever read TOP you'd know why. Now let's talk about this hand you describe above because THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A STRATEGY FORUM AND NOT A BITCHING AND MOANING SESSION so here's my two cents about your strategy. Raising to 100 with TT in the early stages of a tourney from the big blind after five players have limped is absolutely terrible. I'll let other, more experienced tournament players elaborate as to why.

For now, stop your bitching. If you have a big problem beating loose players then you have a ton to learn (IE "you suck"), even more than me and I'm mediocre at best. So my advice to you is study these forums, don't be a smartass to more experienced and respcted posters who tell you in simple language that right now you suck at poker because it's true (we've all been there). And don't preface half of the things you post with "I've played poker for x-amount of years and have read all the books and have been fairly successful because that usually means you either
A. haven't read the right books
B. Have misapplied what you read.
C. Have never read anything

and in addition to A,B or C also have not been successful.

Hope you don't take offense, just giving you the best advice you've gotten in your poker career to date.

Good luck, study up
Matt
Old 10-14-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Raising to 100 with TT in the early stages of a tourney from the big blind after five players have limped is absolutely terrible. I'll let other, more experienced tournament players elaborate as to why.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I have to say is if you don't try to raise x amount based on the amount of players who are trying to "limp", then what your saying is just check the big blind and "hope" you flop trips. If you raise enough your going to be heads up going to the flop, you gotta take some chances. Your also implying if he wasn't in the big blind to just fold or limp as well? OK, it's a tourney, not a ring game so things are different but your in the beginning of the tourney and need to build a BR pretty quick for later rounds. If you were stacked in later rounds and this happened then I agree, you don't need to risk anything. In fact I would just check it with Aces with 5 other limpers but not early on with your buy in chips.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I have to say is if you don't try to raise x amount based on the amount of players who are trying to "limp", then what your saying is just check the big blind and "hope" you flop trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's not what I said. I know about standard raises etc and the amount of players in affecting your raise and whatnot. However, early on in a tourney I see no reason to commit much out of position with TT. In a cash game I'd try to raise it up to take down the pot or get one caller but early on in a tourney I'd rather protect my chips, especially out of position like that. In this case, yes I very well might check TT with five limpers. Early in a tourney a lot of players will limp with hands like AJ etc and if you get into a pissing contest with raises early on you can easily cripple yourself. It's best to play premium hands IN POSITION strongly early in a tourney and try to cheaply accumulate chips for later levels.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 10-14-2005, 01:09 PM

How do you figure I was in a bad position. Last to act with 5 limpers is a great spot for a raise. I commited 100 not all my chips. I think some has some reading to do and guess what, it's not me.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you figure I was in a bad position.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're out of position on every street post flop, unless only the SB calls you. See my post before about the hands people will limp with early in a tourney.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:22 PM

It's great position pre flop but you have to consider post flop where you will be out of position. In your case by raising it will help, if you check it on the flop then you kinda give yourself late position to call or check raise. As long as you have a good hand in the BB then don't worry. A good hand is a good hand regardless of position. It's mainly pre flop you don't want to get caught with your pants down calling with crap.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Raising to 100 with TT in the early stages of a tourney from the big blind after five players have limped is absolutely terrible. I'll let other, more experienced tournament players elaborate as to why.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I have to say is if you don't try to raise x amount based on the amount of players who are trying to "limp", then what your saying is just check the big blind and "hope" you flop trips. If you raise enough your going to be heads up going to the flop, you gotta take some chances. Your also implying if he wasn't in the big blind to just fold or limp as well? OK, it's a tourney, not a ring game so things are different but your in the beginning of the tourney and need to build a BR pretty quick for later rounds. If you were stacked in later rounds and this happened then I agree, you don't need to risk anything. In fact I would just check it with Aces with 5 other limpers but not early on with your buy in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Don't raise this early with TT. What did he accomplish? He managed to split a pot and just took down the rather minor bets players made pf before they all folded out to the heads up. I think raising TT in this position is -EV. What happens? Someone with overs calls and you're usually in a bind. Yes, raise with wired paint, and raise a ton. Take the pot down NOW. TT is too weak post flop too often.

2. He's getting GREAT odds to make the call here or check here. 5 players to his bet? Set/Quad odds are 7.5:1. If he calls/checks, the he can bet THAT flop and get a couple of more calls/overcalls to build a much better pot. Seems that play, with TT, would have a much better EV.