Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Texas Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Beating loose players (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357144)

10-13-2005 08:24 PM

Beating loose players

I have been playing poker for about 3 years. I have studied the game and have read the books. I have a great home game with players that have done the same and fair very well. In Vermont, large poker tourneys can only be held as fundraisers and 30% of the take in must be given to charity. Head count in usually 100 plus players at $50 - $100 a head. The problem is 80 to 90% of the people that show up have watched poker on TV and think they know how to play. Example : blinds are at 10 - 20 and I am big blind. I have pocket 10's. 5 callers to the blind so I raise to 100. I get one caller. Flop is rainbow with 7, 9, 2 all different suits. I bet 100, He calls. Turn is an 8, still not matching any suits. I bet 200, again he calls. River is a J. I now have the straight, I check, he bets 100 I raise to 300 and he calls. We turn over the cards. I find out he has been calling the whole way with a 10-3 off. Split pot but what was he doing in the hand to begin with? The next hand, the same guy called 150 raise with a 10-4 off and caught a boat against someone eles. How do you beat this kind of play?

edfurlong 10-13-2005 09:03 PM

Re: Beating loose players

You beat this kind of game by playing it a ton.

JacksonTens 10-13-2005 09:13 PM

Never complain about T3 calling a $100 raise.

Ever.

Ever again.

JT [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

10-13-2005 09:32 PM

IMO, you have to play a little looser. I tried to the tighten up and be a rock thing, but it just doesn't work. You have to loosen up a little and see flops to try and get lucky.

10-13-2005 09:52 PM

As soon as a serious poker player with a real reply to my original note can answer, the happier I will be.
Please, only serious answers.
Thank you.

10-13-2005 09:53 PM

Unless your Doyle Brunson, do not chat to me about 10-3 off.
( Bracelet #10 )

Aytumious 10-13-2005 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As soon as a serious poker player with a real reply to my original note can answer, the happier I will be.
Please, only serious answers.
Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the Theory of Poker by Divad Salinsky. If you claim you've already read it, read it again.

10-13-2005 10:15 PM

A serious answer is just keep doing what you are doing. In the long run "YOU MUST WIN, PERIOD"! It's nerve racking I know, but just hang in there.

EStreet20 10-13-2005 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Example : blinds are at 10 - 20 and I am big blind. I have pocket 10's. 5 callers to the blind so I raise to 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, your opponent's play was absolute garbage but you shouldn't complain about losing to bad play. If you ever read TOP you'd know why. Now let's talk about this hand you describe above because THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A STRATEGY FORUM AND NOT A BITCHING AND MOANING SESSION so here's my two cents about your strategy. Raising to 100 with TT in the early stages of a tourney from the big blind after five players have limped is absolutely terrible. I'll let other, more experienced tournament players elaborate as to why.

For now, stop your bitching. If you have a big problem beating loose players then you have a ton to learn (IE "you suck"), even more than me and I'm mediocre at best. So my advice to you is study these forums, don't be a smartass to more experienced and respcted posters who tell you in simple language that right now you suck at poker because it's true (we've all been there). And don't preface half of the things you post with "I've played poker for x-amount of years and have read all the books and have been fairly successful because that usually means you either
A. haven't read the right books
B. Have misapplied what you read.
C. Have never read anything

and in addition to A,B or C also have not been successful.

Hope you don't take offense, just giving you the best advice you've gotten in your poker career to date.

Good luck, study up
Matt

10-13-2005 11:09 PM

Just sit back and wait for a good spot. Really loose players are often bad. They dont notice that there are three of the same suit on the board and that you could be holding a flush. Or if the board pairs they dont consider full house posibilities againts their flush or st. Wait until you have something rather large and let them call of their money to you. Basically bad players rarely make good lay downsl, so you have to beat them with the cards. You cant bluff a good player they wont even know why they should fold