Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 10:33 PM

Default Re: I almost died today

I'm always amazed at how many ladders I see in the road. What's with that?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a picket fence, they aren't pre-assembled. You build it in the person's lawn. Therefore, since nearly the only place in which a fully assembled picket fence would be found in someone's yard, the most logical conclusion would be that he was driving on someone's front lawn.

Now, if he said a fence post, it could be different.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
an unidentified object (looked like a picket fence)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2005, 10:34 PM

Bah! Back in my day we all did 360's and we were grateful for them.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know its against your instincts but usually its better to just run over what ever it was than try and avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]
With [censored] like squirrels and small debris, I agree completely. I don't know how easy that is in practice though. It seems like that's something you have to have done a lot of thought on in advance.

In my case, I don't even want to think about what hitting a full grown cow at 70mph would do.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know its against your instincts but usually its better to just run over what ever it was than try and avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]
With [censored] like squirrels and small debris, I agree completely. I don't know how easy that is in practice though. It seems like that's something you have to have done a lot of thought on in advance.

In my case, I don't even want to think about what hitting a full grown cow at 70mph would do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once saw an 18-wheel gravel truck hit a cow and flip over. It's a good idea not to hit cows.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:36 PM

You're no fun. I still bet that he was coming home after talking to some guy in a bar about the Gulf War and showing him his gun.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know its against your instincts but usually its better to just run over what ever it was than try and avoid. I have seen way to many serious accidents from people trying to avoid hitting deer, dogs, boxes, etc; especially in traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that. Outstanding advice.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:38 PM

Glad to hear you are ok.

You should burn off that adrenaline I think it is important for your health to do so. Sex or exercise you pick. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Either one will make you even more happy to be alive!
Old 10-02-2005, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With a picket fence, they aren't pre-assembled. You build it in the person's lawn. Therefore, since nearly the only place in which a fully assembled picket fence would be found in someone's yard, the most logical conclusion would be that he was driving on someone's front lawn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Home Depot and Lowe's both sell picket fences in pre-assembled sections. They come in wood or plastic. Easy to see how he said picket fence.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:40 PM

This was on the highway, and I was going something like 75 mph in a 65 mph zone. I saw the guy directly in front of me (100 feet ahead) swerve and barely miss the thing, then I saw it and reacted the same way. I'm pretty sure I had read somewhere not to brake and instead just release the throttle, and I'm surprised that I remembered that in the nano-second I had to react. Unfortunately, I still lost control and just kept my foot on the brake until I came to a stop (pretty sure this was the wrong move though).

When I get back to school I'm definitely taking some emergency driving classes.

Oh, and I said it looked like a picket fence in itself upright position and was worried it might mess up my car's undercarriage if I decided to run over it.