Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: 10/20NL, 6max Set of Aces when Flush card comes

he can only call with QJ and JT clubs? is this a joke? he can't play any connecting or one gapping clubs on the button?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:51 PM

He has the wheel. Check/fold unless given odds to fill up.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he can only call with QJ and JT clubs? is this a joke? he can't play any connecting or one gapping clubs on the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he could call with connecting clubs, but calling $80 there with any connecting or one-gapped clubs seems a little loose, no? Maybe I'm wrong.

I just think there's a good chance he thinks you don't have the flush or that he'll bluff, representing the flush, rather than him actually having the flush. And, even if he does, you have a big re-draw.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:22 PM

how about check/raise? that is of course if you think he'll bet.

if he goes check check, then bet out the river for value.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how about check/raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate bluffing with top set.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
calling $80 there with any connecting or one-gapped clubs seems a little loose, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is a little loose, but he's on the button and stacks are deep, so it defensible
Old 09-30-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: 10/20NL, 6max Set of Aces when Flush card comes-RESULTS

Seeing the fact that i had just turned set of Aces made think I had the nuts and I didnt like to give any free cards so i came out betting 400$. He re-raised it to 1200$, which I thought was a bluff, but I wasn't sure so "I had to call". I think that my bet was too weak and it begged to be raised, 400$ into 690$ pot...so I couldn't be sure if he had the flush what he was representing. River was 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I checked and he bet 1200$. Because I'm a horrible calling station I called him and he showed 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7-[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Now I know I should have taken another line and I played this badly, but if I check-call the turn how much I should be calling on the river? Or if you prefer a blocking bet how much that should be?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: 10/20NL, 6max Set of Aces when Flush card comes-RESULTS

you say that he is a good player who is able to pull off tricky moves then you have to keep his range of hands wide including suited connectors. if you wanted to elminate the call from weaker hands dont only make a 4x bb raise over limper. as he is a smart player he can call with weaker hands like the suited connectors because 4x is not that big of a raise and his superior postion. Then when the flop comes you should know that those hands can still be in play so with the straight and flush draw board you should at least pot size bet the flop and only allow the good player to call with a made hand. Then on the turn you wont have to worry about the flush and then have a better feel and then know that your way ahead. Since you took the passive play on the flop and then on the turn and he pops it up then you have you have to realize the amount of hands that you are losing to which includes 79 of clubs and lay your hand down. i think your betting pattern was the reason you lost this hand because you allowed his range of hands to include suited connectors heading to the turn.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess he could call with connecting clubs, but calling $80 there with any connecting or one-gapped clubs seems a little loose, no? Maybe I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are very wrong.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Should I have bet more? I almost never bet the full pot on the flop, don't know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I make an overbet here, I'm popping it $350 on that draw friendly board. If called it clearly defines their hand; generally a big draw or a made hand like two pair. If raised reevaluate - push or fold.

Turn card super dangerous, a real hospital card. I would check it.

Your flop bet signaled AK, KK, AA, at worst and very remote possibility of KQ. He re-raises you expecting you to call.

He's got a flush yoz. Call if you want to see a repeat.