Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Shorthanded TD 2-7

If your opponent is likely drawing rough, keep the 9. If he's likely drawing smooth, you want to toss it. At least, I presume that's the best line.

So, estimate what his opening requirments are and think about what his bets mean.

Also, take into account the probability of winning without a showdown and the probability of winning extra bets when you do make a smooth hand.

This sounds vague and hard, but it just takes practice.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:47 PM

I had an interesting time at a HU 2/4 game last night. I'll see if I can dig up any interesting hands once I'm not at work any more.

One reason I was winning is because my opponent kept making the following bad decisions:

1) Standing pat with a 9 early, OOP. This let me either fold the turn (winning him a small pot) or draw with confidence to even the worst of 8s (because he was showing down such poor hands). I could even bet or call with 96 with some confidence that it was good. He hardly ever broke once pat, and many of his 9s had no redraw anyway.

2) Limping in (completing) on the button. Often I had a 3 or 4-card draw. Villian draws 1 or 2 and I usually fold the next round. Now, Villian might be snowing here since I drew so many. But that puts him in even worse shape if I do pick up some good cards, and Villian had to fold (or should have but didn't) when I bet into him or check-raised later in the hand.

If I _do_ have a hand, I will generally raise. I never, ever got limp-reraised this way. Plus, I was usually drawing a lot smoother than Villian, whether he drew 3, 2, or 1 in this situation. I can't see any reason to ever limp here.

3) Not folding the SB often enough. See above. Position is great, sure. But it's not worth open-limping a 3-card draw.

4) Value-betting rough hands. He actually bet a Q in position after we both drew 1. (I called with a worse hand.)

5) Drawing rough in position when I was pat. I usually was drawing to an 8 or a smooth 9.

6) He didn't seem to be winning many pots with Ts or Js at showdown. I'm not sure whether this was because of #4 (he bet them and I folded) or whether he was inappropriately ditching them in position and trying for a better hand.

7) Drawing rough on the first draw. I was drawing two on the first draw way more often than he was.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:42 PM

What do you think of the idea of us having a HU match next week sometime and doing a writeup of it?

Would others be interested in that?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:43 PM

Very interesting. Would it be a 2p2 v. 2p2 match or a writeup of a 2p2 v. a standard loose/bad TD player?

I'd be interested regardless as I'm sure practices could be learned from either, but obviously any decisions made against a solid player will be quite different from the average guy.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting. Would it be a 2p2 v. 2p2 match or a writeup of a 2p2 v. a standard loose/bad TD player?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking Mark vs. me. That way we wouldn't have to dig up a loose/bad player.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:50 PM

A bracketed heads up TDL tourney would be fun. Are there play money HU tables? I think the only real money HU tables are at much higher stakes.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the idea of us having a HU match next week sometime and doing a writeup of it?

Would others be interested in that?

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be interesting. In what venue were you thinking of holding it?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In what venue were you thinking of holding it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the kitchen table.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There has been a few HU posts in recent times with some good stuff in it, try a search.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this: Heads Up TDL. The post wasn't so good, but the responses were excellent.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking Mark vs. me. That way we wouldn't have to dig up a loose/bad player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I volunteer!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]