Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Standard river cap?

At a regular to tight table (admittedly, this probably wasn't one) I fold J8s preflop here, even on the button, unless I have 3 or more callers in front of me. We have 2 here, plus the blinds, which really makes the decision close. It's a little too speculative for my taste (because of the gap and lack of high card strength) unless I'm 100% sure I'm getting huge implied odds. At a loose table or against people I thought I could easily outplay postflop, I'd play it, though. It's one of those hands that's right on the borderline, and you certainly can't be faulted for taking a shot with it. Come to think of it, there's really no problem with the preflop play. Sorry I nitpicked. :P

I would've backed off a bit on the turn and river when the passive player started doing non-passive things like 3-betting twice, and then didn't back off when the board paired on the river. We're still obviously showing the hand down, but we might want to do so cheaply, since there are a number of ways we might be beaten here.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At a regular to tight table (admittedly, this probably wasn't one) I fold J8s preflop here, even on the button, unless I have 3 or more callers in front of me. We have 2 here, plus the blinds, which really makes the decision close.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was THE quintessential loose-passive table. I think limping it here was a good move. There was a relatively low chance of it being raised after me.

You are right though, it has to be played well post-flop, and I didn't play it well.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:06 AM

Raise this flop, lead the turn when checked to, call down if raised. If you get donked on the turn, raise and call down.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:18 AM

There's no way I cap this river. I'm not even sure I raise it, but I'm weak tight like that.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:18 AM

raise flop
call river