Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: What has 40% approval and sits in the oval office?

[ QUOTE ]
the American people have not once said "a majority of us support the democrats

[/ QUOTE ]Except in Congressional and Senatorial elections.

More people have voted for a Democratic for Senator in the last 6 years than a Republican.

Problem is you have states like Wyoming which are smaller in population than the city of Washington D.C. funny thing is, Wyoming gets 2 Senators and D.C. gets zero.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Problem is you have states like Wyoming which are smaller in population than the city of Washington D.C. funny thing is, Wyoming gets 2 Senators and D.C. gets zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the real problem... the real problem is that CA, TX, FL, NY get so many slots in the house of representatives. These reps. are divided by population (per our census). The problem is that census data includes criminals, illegals, non-registered voters.

I think reps. should be divided by the number of registered voters. That why, criminally infested - immigrant over-run states like CA don't have so much political clout.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:57 PM

It's the small states that are overrepresented in the House, not the big ones. The small states would still get 1 rep even if they had a total population of 60.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the real problem is that CA, TX, FL, NY get so many slots in the house of representatives. These reps. are divided by population (per our census). The problem is that census data includes criminals, illegals, non-registered voters.

[/ QUOTE ]

The house capped its membership some time ago (70’s?) If it was truly representative via the census we’d have something like 1480 members.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The last Democrat to win a majority of the vote:
Jimmy Carter in 1976

How many times have the Republicans won a majority of the vote since that last time the Democrats did it?

four

Reagan in 1980
Reagan in 1984
Bush in 1988
Bush in 2004

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the dementia know no bounds?

Here's a trivia question for you:

Name a president who currently sits in the Oval Office who was selected to office despite receiving FEWER popular votes than his opponent?

Also, name a president who governs the country as if he received a mandate when he won re-election with 51% of the vote.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the real problem... the real problem is that CA, TX, FL, NY get so many slots in the house of representatives. These reps. are divided by population (per our census). The problem is that census data includes criminals, illegals, non-registered voters.

I think reps. should be divided by the number of registered voters. That why, criminally infested - immigrant over-run states like CA don't have so much political clout.

[/ QUOTE ]

CA does not get represented enough in the Federal Government. If DC cared about CA more, maybe we wouldn't have as big a "criminally infested - immigrant over-run" problem (your words, not mine).

Besides the inequity in the House and in the Senate, CA and nearly every other state suffers from the Electoral College. We do not have a "one man, one vote" system.

Even though CA is an enormous part of our nation in every measurable way, it is not a real participant in our presidential election system because it is not a swing state. Hence, there is no real discussion and concern for the important issues of that state.

-ptmusic
Old 09-23-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Even though CA is an enormous part of our nation in every measurable way, it is not a real participant in our presidential election system because it is not a swing state. Hence, there is no real discussion and concern for the important issues of that state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. And it's not just california; the mountain and southwestern states collectively represent a large block of votes but since only a few of them are swing states many of them get totally ignored.

The state-by-state electoral college system really does affect politics; why do you think only 6 national guard soldiers from ohio and florida died in iraq before the election?

It's just a stupid anachronism that ought to be changed. I have no idea whether it will make things more liberal or more conservative or neither, but I do know it will make things more democratic, and give us more control over our government.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea whether it will make things more liberal or more conservative or neither, but I do know it will make things more democratic, and give us more control over our government.

[/ QUOTE ]
1) The Founders wanted it this way.
2) We do not live in a democracy. Who told you otherwise?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea whether it will make things more liberal or more conservative or neither, but I do know it will make things more democratic, and give us more control over our government.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) The Founders had the foresight to include the ability to amend the constitution; they wanted things to EVOLVE and PROGRESS. This is how we were able to ban things like slavery, give women the right to vote, et cetera. The founders also did not require that citizens vote for electors, yet we do it anyway. Are you in favor of having state legislators pick electors? Are you in favor of the 3/5 rule? Etc., etc.

2) Your point is mostly irrelevant and if to the extent that it is relevant it supports my case unless you believe in minority rule (as opposed to minority rights which one could argue the Senate preserves).
Old 09-23-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A true democracy is to easy to "cheat". Look how many dead, retarded, and ineligable voters somehow cast a vote for Kerry.

If we changed the system and went solely with popular vote... it would be a total mess.

Fraud would be the norm... no the exception.