Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: The downswing

-0.15 bb/hand from the sb through 75k 0.5/1 hands is bad. why didn't you ever look at other peoples' stat posts here? you should have asked about this long ago.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:07 AM

As a profession ass-handler, please allow me to discuss this:

Your ass wasn't even mildly roughed-up here. I mean, yeah, there was probably some bruising, but without a thorough investigation, I'd have to speculate that there was tearing or internal bleeding.

This is well within normal expectation when playing poker.

Enjoy.

--Dave

PS. And you're welcome.

Edit: And all the stuff that the other guys said about playing bad is true, unfortunately. But even if you were a better player, this would be normal.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-0.15 bb/hand from the sb through 75k 0.5/1 hands is bad. why didn't you ever look at other peoples' stat posts here? you should have asked about this long ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Miles,

I think he might have meant something like this thread in HUSH. They're talking about filtering hands to just those where we're defending.

Maybe that's what's meant by the -0.15BB/100. If not, -0.15BB/100 for the SB is indeed pretty bad for a full ring game.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Miles,

I think he might have meant something like this thread in HUSH. They're talking about filtering hands to just those where we're defending.

Maybe that's what's meant by the -0.15BB/100. If not, -0.15BB/100 for the SB is indeed pretty bad for a full ring game.

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe, but i thought he was just saying what his bb/hand is from the SB without filtering. i can't get to PT right now so i can't see what my own bb/hand is when people attempt to steal against me.

yeah i don't think he's filtering, and it's bb/hand not bb/100. if you only lost 0.15 bb/100 from the SB, you rule.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:03 AM

Echoing what others have said...yes, judging by your stats over both samples, your game needs some work.

As far as your PFR percentage, if you start attacking the blinds more often (and isolating on weak limpers), that will help. But I think you're still missing other raises; if I remember correctly from my early days, even before I learned about positional raising I still had a PFR near 8. More so than re-reading the preflop section of SSH (although that couldn't hurt), I'd suggest doing a lot of reading here & looking at how other posters are playing their hands preflop.

As far as the downswing goes, not to belittle your struggles, but that's really nothing. All told, you've dropped about 215 BBs over 4,000 hands--even without holes in your game, this happens. I had a downswing go on so long that I eventually just started another new PT database so I didn't have to look at all those red numbers anymore (and btw, I really think that helped). Take some time off from playing & enjoy your life for a while, then come back to the game when you feel refreshed. Or, if you just have to play poker, try changing up your game for a bit to see if that can help--play some tournies or SnG's, maybe some Omaha or Stud...whatever it takes.

And yes, based on the behavior you described in the original post, you are tilting. That's only going to make the downswing worse.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:22 AM

As others have said...

You lost 92.25 bets at 1/2 over 2K hands. Meh?

The 127 bets over 2,200 hands is a little less meh. But still meh.

Take the advice of others in this thread RE: PFR%, etc. This may not feel good, but its certainly not as bad as it COULD be.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Echoing what others have said...yes, judging by your stats over both samples, your game needs some work.

As far as your PFR percentage, if you start attacking the blinds more often (and isolating on weak limpers), that will help. But I think you're still missing other raises; if I remember correctly from my early days, even before I learned about positional raising I still had a PFR near 8. More so than re-reading the preflop section of SSH (although that couldn't hurt), I'd suggest doing a lot of reading here & looking at how other posters are playing their hands preflop.

As far as the downswing goes, not to belittle your struggles, but that's really nothing. All told, you've dropped about 215 BBs over 4,000 hands--even without holes in your game, this happens. I had a downswing go on so long that I eventually just started another new PT database so I didn't have to look at all those red numbers anymore (and btw, I really think that helped). Take some time off from playing & enjoy your life for a while, then come back to the game when you feel refreshed. Or, if you just have to play poker, try changing up your game for a bit to see if that can help--play some tournies or SnG's, maybe some Omaha or Stud...whatever it takes.

And yes, based on the behavior you described in the original post, you are tilting. That's only going to make the downswing worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harv, this is a great suggestion.

Go to the 0.01/0.02 NLHE tables and blow off some steam. It's a lot of fun! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 11:26 AM

you're right, the -.15/hand is without filtering. Filtering just the small blind I have 200 out of 8200+ hands where there was an attempt to steal the blind. From those 200 hands I averaged -.03/hand, the 34 times I did defend I averaged +1.02/hand.

The fact that only 200 attempts happened in 8200 hands (2.4%) at .5-1 is a big reason this didnt concern me. At this point I dont think concentrating on something that happens once every 370 hands is the best place to start. At 1-2 it will be something I may have to look more closely at.

At this point it may be my time is better spent on looking at the SB as a whole. If -.15/hand is "pretty bad" this is something I stand to gain a lot more by reducing this number even marginally.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...and it's bb/hand not bb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]
Damn me an my impatient posting.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that only 200 attempts happened in 8200 hands (2.4%) at .5-1 is a big reason this didnt concern me. At this point I dont think concentrating on something that happens once every 370 hands is the best place to start. At 1-2 it will be something I may have to look more closely at.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. If this is a problem, it most likely isn't the major reason why things aren't going well right now.

[ QUOTE ]
At this point it may be my time is better spent on looking at the SB as a whole. If -.15/hand is "pretty bad" this is something I stand to gain a lot more by reducing this number even marginally.

[/ QUOTE ]
That may be true. I pretty much suck from the blinds, so I won't offer any advice. (Though I'm doing very well there in 6-max. Probably just sample size.)

I knew there was a good study of winrates out there. I think I found it here. If you go down a bit, you can see the average of (0.11) from the SB and (0.18) from the BB. This is from 2/4, but 1/2 and 0.5/1 should be at least comparable. In that light (0.15) looks high, and definitely something to work on. (I won't mention what mine is, but I need need to put some real work in, too!)