Default Re: What would you do if...

[ QUOTE ]
I am 17 and am wondering what will happen if I show up at home games

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-18-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A 17 year old showed up at your Home game, allow him to play or ask him to leave? Just assuming it was a reserved guy that was simply looking for a game, not an annoying douchebag... Hypothetical question, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some folks I know let 17 year olds play... some have a strict 18 rule. Really depends on the game. Personally I don't see the problem in it, especially if the tournament is only a $10 buy in. If you're 13 you can go play in a Magic or YuGiOh tournament for that price, so why not poker?
Old 09-18-2005, 07:38 PM

well, home games tend to be illegal anyhow so who cares.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A 17 year old showed up at your Home game, allow him to play or ask him to leave? Just assuming it was a reserved guy that was simply looking for a game, not an annoying douchebag... Hypothetical question, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some folks I know let 17 year olds play... some have a strict 18 rule. Really depends on the game. Personally I don't see the problem in it, especially if the tournament is only a $10 buy in. If you're 13 you can go play in a Magic or YuGiOh tournament for that price, so why not poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Magic and Yugioh involve absurdly huge rakes and a public store where the parents can find the kids and be reasonably sure they're not in the company of seedy old poker players who may be intoxicated. :P
Old 09-18-2005, 10:29 PM

unless you think he's a thief, let him play, what's the big deal.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:29 AM

Michigan state law allows home games as long as the stakes don't exceed a certain amount. They also stipulate all participants must be 18.

Since the stakes in my game are a bit higher than a lot of other home games I know of, I adhere to this rule. The law states if a minor gambles and loses he can legally get his money back. I don't want to [censored] around with that.

PG
Old 09-19-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Magic and Yugioh involve absurdly huge rakes and a public store where the parents can find the kids and be reasonably sure they're not in the company of seedy old poker players who may be intoxicated. :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but my home games are tobacco and alcohol free. Average age is probably 19 or 20.

Perhaps if small buy in ($5-$10) poker tournaments could be held at public places, with prizes consisting of store credit, your statement could hold true for poker as well as CCG's.

(There is not a 'rake', rather all monies are returned as store credit instead of cash)
Old 09-19-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but my home games are tobacco and alcohol free. Average age is probably 19 or 20.

Perhaps if small buy in ($5-$10) poker tournaments could be held at public places, with prizes consisting of store credit, your statement could hold true for poker as well as CCG's.

(There is not a 'rake', rather all monies are returned as store credit instead of cash)

[/ QUOTE ]

In a perfect world, maybe.

In this one, on average, the organizers pocket 50-90% of the buyins from large tournaments like PTQs, State Championships, and the like. Do total prizes of about $500 mesh with a $25 buyin and 100+ players? I don't think so.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Poker isn't gambling in Michigan though, is it? I missed the 18 and older part of the law but I know if no rake is taken, home poker games are legal almost anywhere.

I believe the age requirement though.

JMB
Old 09-19-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In this one, on average, the organizers pocket 50-90% of the buyins from large tournaments like PTQs, State Championships, and the like. Do total prizes of about $500 mesh with a $25 buyin and 100+ players? I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like we are comparing apples and oranges... I meant small local tournaments, not the big events. Surely the larger events have 'rakes' as they have significant overhead involved.

At a PTQ or State Championship several judges and TOs must be hired, and that costs $$$. At a Friday Night Magic event, one person is all it takes to run the event.