Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: 3/6 6max call down

[ QUOTE ]

Would raising the turn here be better? Is calling the river ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some have advocated a turn raise for a free showdown as being preferable to calling down. I think I disagree.

The "free showdown" part of that play only gains when you have a chance of winning at the showdown unimproved, against a hand that will call your turn raise. There aren't so many of them: just the draws I suppose, and would a draw donkbet the turn?

The "raising the turn" part lets him fold every hand you beat and has you putting in more money when you are behind. I don't think he will fold a hand better than yours often enough. When he has a K he will three-bet. If he has a full house he will three-bet and you will call, drawing dead.

Calling down gets the most out of him when he's bluffing and gets you to the showdown for the minimum price if you choose to show it down.

For these reasons I think the turn is a clear call. River, hmmm, depends on what you think about his bluffing tendencies. You called, so you must have thought there was a chance had had diddly. That being the case, call!

Guy.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: 3/6 6max call down

I think this looks like a pretty easy call down. This rag board isn't likely to have hit him and we will call a bluff here more than 1 in 8. I don't like a turn raise and certainly not a river raise.