Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you do with TT?
Reraise. 0 0%
Call. 1 1.85%
Fold. 40 74.07%
I wouldn't have bet this flop. 9 16.67%
I wouldn't have raised preflop. 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Hypothetically speaking....

Newb question, why no river raise? fourth 9 is dead, so he needs two kings or the other 3 aces down to beat you, but will most likely call with the boat, no?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Newb question, why no river raise? fourth 9 is dead, so he needs two kings or the other 3 aces down to beat you, but will most likely call with the boat, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I explained my reasoning at the end of the hand I posted.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I explained my reasoning at the end of the hand I posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again my stellar reading comprehension rears its head.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:18 AM

Fairly easy call on fourth against a loose aggro with a dead nine. You made a very serious mistake by not noting the dead nine -- one that cost AT LEAST one big bet and quite possibly three or even, since he may reraise being so dazzled by his own hand.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:34 AM

Given your description of seat 3 I'm calling fourth. If he shows me trip nines so be it. Plenty of times you'll be far ahead to a wide range of other holdings however. I cant give him credit for aces or kings when he dosent make it $60 on third. Cya at the river, baby. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When I read the rest of the hand it made me want to cry, grb. I had to read it a few times to make sure I got it right. Tell me theres a typo, or several typos, and you raised him while lighting a victory cigar. Even though you didnt recall that the six seat mucked the case nine on third, you should have raised at some point. You generally play aggressive and this dosent seem like you at all. I know at any other limit you're raising this up at some point.....

Mike Emery
Old 08-31-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fairly easy call on fourth against a loose aggro with a dead nine. You made a very serious mistake by not noting the dead nine -- one that cost AT LEAST one big bet and quite possibly three or even, since he may reraise being so dazzled by his own hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your response, but I think "serious" is a bit exaggerated. In hindsight it seems to me that I missed 1 bets at most. I could have popped him at 5th, but I seriously think would have hit me back since I raised open trips with a paired door card Q - he was loose aggressive, but not retarded. And I could have popped the river, but again, he wouldn't have hit me back.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When I read the rest of the hand it made me want to cry, grb. I had to read it a few times to make sure I got it right. Tell me theres a typo, or several typos, and you raised him while lighting a victory cigar. Even though you didnt recall that the six seat mucked the case nine on third, you should have raised at some point. You generally play aggressive and this dosent seem like you at all. I know at any other limit you're raising this up at some point.....

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

<hangs head in shame>

I tell you what, I really thought quads was a seriously possibility -- I had just finished agonizing over whether to call 4th, and here he spikes another 9. Plus, I figured the risk/reward wasn't worth it: If I raise and he has it, he raises me back and so I end up losing an additional $80. If I raise and he doesn't have it, he merely will call it down and possibly even fold the river if he doesn't fill -- gaining me an additional $40 at most (while the player was loose aggressive, he wasn't a moron, and I'm confident that my raise would have been a clear signal that I was Qs full).
Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate your response, but I think "serious" is a bit exaggerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any time that you don't observe a dead door card when your biggest challenge of the hand is determining whether someone who paired their door has trips, it is a serious mistake. It doesn't matter that you only lost one bet on this hand; don't use "results-oriented thinking."

http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/c...borne0905.html
Old 08-31-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any time that you don't observe a dead door card when your biggest challenge of the hand is determining whether someone who paired their door has trips, it is a serious mistake. It doesn't matter that you only lost one bet on this hand; don't use "results-oriented thinking."

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that I made a mistake by not remember the dead 9. I'm not saying that the result of the hand made it "ok." In this case, the error cost me 1 bet at most. Not "serious" in my opinion. I think the severity of a mistake turns on how much money it costs you in the long run, supposing you made the same play everytime the exact circumstances arose. In this hand, even had I remembered the dead 9, a raise wouldn't have gotten me anything more than a 1 more bet. He wasn't gonna fold, 5 or 6, nor would he have raised. So, I made a 1 BB mistake, if that. Not serious.

I serious mistake is one where you fail to raise a drawing hand and he ends up catching you and taking the whole pot. Another serious mistake is folding rolled Aces. Plays where you miss 1 bet are mistakes, just not "serious."

Of course, you might have different criteria for what constitutes a "serious" mistake....heck maybe in your mind all mistakes are serious. If so, I'd love to hear about it and how my play applies.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that I made a mistake by not remember the dead 9. I'm not saying that the result of the hand made it "ok." In this case, the error cost me 1 bet at most. Not "serious" in my opinion. I think the severity of a mistake turns on how much money it costs you in the long run, supposing you made the same play everytime the exact circumstances arose. In this hand, even had I remembered the dead 9, a raise wouldn't have gotten me anything more than a 1 more bet. He wasn't gonna fold, 5 or 6, nor would he have raised. So, I made a 1 BB mistake, if that. Not serious.

I serious mistake is one where you fail to raise a drawing hand and he ends up catching you and taking the whole pot. Another serious mistake is folding rolled Aces. Plays where you miss 1 bet are mistakes, just not "serious."

Of course, you might have different criteria for what constitutes a "serious" mistake....heck maybe in your mind all mistakes are serious. If so, I'd love to hear about it and how my play applies.

[/ QUOTE ]

The seriousness of mistakes should also be guagued by how often you can make that same mistake.

If you always call down paired door cards regardless that is a serious mistake because you can make that mistakes many times in a session. But how often can you fail to get in a raise when holding a 5 card FH AND looking a board trips where the opponent's case card is dead? Not very often.