Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Final Table Bubble Hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At first I thought "right on" but the initial raise 2x bb is fishy, looks like he wants action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I would want to know something about MP before making this push given the fishy raise size.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain's screen name was "Stealio"
Old 08-26-2005, 11:30 AM

MP1 can't call this without a monster. Depending on how much he wants to be at the final table and how much he wants the money, he may even fold AA. Next hand the BB will be forced all in and the SB will have 25% of his stack in. Following hand, the BB, if he folded last hand will now have more than half his stack in. Someone is going out soon. Even if MP1 calls, it won't kill the OP and the OP might just suck out.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:01 PM

umm there's absolutely no way he's folding aa there, and I can't think of anyone who would fold qq or above there

I don't know who you're playing with, but I've never played with anyone who would fold aa there
Old 08-26-2005, 12:16 PM

The $$$ at the final table goes up substantially compared to 11th place money and it goes up every placement.

Often players will be tighter on the FT bubble than the ITM bubble.

When Fossilman won the WSOP, he entered the FT with a big stack. He accumulated over 1/2 of it on the FT bubble as everyone started playing very,very tight to get to the bigger money and Fossilman started raising a large% of his hands and re-raising and only had to show down 1 hand on the FT bubble while accumulating a ton of chips.

Another good example of this was MLG's last win in the Stars big weekend tourney. He essentially did the same thing, but he made a PF raise about 99% of the time and had a massive chip lead on most of the FT by the time they got down to 9.

With 2 very small stacks getting close to bust out the PFR is going to need a group 1 hand to call off his whole tourney here with better $$$ so close.

The Hero also has a big stack, so he can take a loss here and not have it cripple him or substantially change his ability to steal.

Hero also wants the rest of the table to know that if you come at me you are playing for you whole tournament, so it gets you more free rides in the blinds.

So while the raise looks "suspicious" I push here about 99% of the time and make him make a decision for his whole tourney when he is a lock for the FT.

If he calls and beats me that's ok, but never underestimate the power of putting someone to a decision here.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-26-2005, 12:39 PM

i like the play.

this caught my eye though:

[ QUOTE ]
My image should be rock solid as I have shown down AA twice and AK once in the last several orbits.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone who is influenced by that is making a big mistake. of course you're not going to fold your monsters. what matters is how you play marginal hands. if you steal 4 times and show down AA 3 times and 48o once you should be perceived as more aggro than someone who stole twice with no showdown.

but some will probably irrationally think you're solid b/c you happened to get some cards, so maybe that's why you included it.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:28 PM

Everything you said is true, but...

[ QUOTE ]
With 2 very small stacks getting close to bust out the PFR is going to need a group 1 hand to call off his whole tourney here with better $$$ so close.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm making any raise that isn't allin, I have a group 1 hand 100% of the time. And that fact is probably why I never make such a minraise anyway.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm making any raise that isn't allin, I have a group 1 hand 100% of the time. And that fact is probably why I never make such a minraise anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was my reasoning. i'm probably overthinking but if MP is a reasonably good player (this late in the tourney, i don't think that's too large of an assumption w/o info to the contrary), he has to know that a big stack in the BB will eat a weakish bet like this all day, every day. a bet like this against a big stack BB has almost zero FE. so if he doesn't want a call, he obviously he raises all-in. so why didn't he?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but some will probably irrationally think you're solid b/c you happened to get some cards, so maybe that's why you included it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, what I meant was that I had not been overly active and had shown down those monsters recently, so to the extent that Villain was paying attention he would certainly not see me as even borderline LAGgy.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so why didn't he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's:

1) A donk
2) Trapping

You can't discount #1. And that's why I said in my other post I would have to have some sort of read on MP before coming over the top here.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My original post specified that the pre-flop min-raise was being used with regularity at this table as until an orbit or so prior the stacks were very shallow.