Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: 99 UTG+1

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the flop because:
::: I want absolute position
::: I want free cards if applicable
::: I want to try and ensure my diamond draw is good.
::: I'd prefer continuing heads-up as opposed to 3-handed.

When I am 3-bet I decide to fold any card that is not a diamond or a 9.

Turn raise:
::: Try to make better diamonds make a bad fold.
::: Find out how good my 9 of diamonds is
::: See free showdown.
::: Get my opponent to put in more BB if he has a worse diamond or none at all.

by his flop actions I was fairly confident in him not having a made hand. I felt his actions cold be pair/draw or two pair or set. With so few hands on him it was tough to judge a course of action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop logic seems ok by me.

Turn logic seems quite flawed, imho.

1. No better diamond is folding. Your flop raise has the appearance of no diamond or a weak diamond. That is, with a big diamond are you going to raise here and scare off the bluffer?
2. How are you "finding out how good your 9d is? If he calls or raises what have you learned? If he folds then you defeated an unarmed soldier. More likely, you are going to pay through the nose to be defeated on the river or get bluffed off of your 9d.
3. You may see a free showdown but you could have gotten the same result by just calling the turn. SO it aint "free."
4. This maybe could happen but just maybe.

Unless your image has been really LAGass you can not raise the turn.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:57 PM

The problem is the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is on the board and given the cold called raise the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] could easily have a str8 draw or a pair to go along and he has to be able to fold it even naked. So the T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]is the one I think you can get to fold. I just don't think that it is worth it. Also you open you self up to a 3-bet even though you could still have the best hand or the best draw but have no idea either way.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hard question is this: if you raise the flop, only get called, and checked to on the turn, do you bet a non-diamond turn? My intuition is yes, as you'd like to protect against overcards and charge diamond draws that don't contain pairs. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the card. Overcard I most likely check through. Card that pair the board I check through, 9 I bet, brick I bet.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The hard question is this: if you raise the flop, only get called, and checked to on the turn, do you bet a non-diamond turn? My intuition is yes, as you'd like to protect against overcards and charge diamond draws that don't contain pairs. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the card. Overcard I most likely check through. Card that pair the board I check through, 9 I bet, brick I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Methinks you bet all turn cards for value. Unless viallain has higher pair with a higher diamond to draw to then my gut says there's value (though I suck at math). This seems like a quite interesting Bayesian problem. Jason, you around?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. No better diamond is folding. Your flop raise has the appearance of no diamond or a weak diamond. That is, with a big diamond are you going to raise here and scare off the bluffer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's room for argument that I can get hands like AxTd or KxQd to fold to my turn raise. I usually ask myself if this player can 3-bet me without the nuts, or even call another bet with the second or third nuts. I decided since he was aggression neutral after the few hands I had on him I figured it was most likely he could not three-bet me without the nuts. As for my flop raise it doesn't necessarily scream weak diamond, Its not out of my league to raise KdQx or KxQd there either. I dont mind scaring off a bluffer if I myself am semi-bluffing.

[ QUOTE ]

2. How are you "finding out how good your 9d is? If he calls or raises what have you learned? If he folds then you defeated an unarmed soldier. More likely, you are going to pay through the nose to be defeated on the river or get bluffed off of your 9d.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls he prolly doesn't have a hand storng enough to bet at me on the river, which is good because neither do I. If he raises me I know based on what I said earlier in this posting that I would be fairly confident he had the nuts. If he folds all the better.

[ QUOTE ]

3. You may see a free showdown but you could have gotten the same result by just calling the turn. SO it aint "free."

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh I guesss, but raising the turn with intentions to check the river is known as the "free showdown" because you have no decisions to make.

[ QUOTE ]

4. This maybe could happen but just maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]
It can happen a lot in 3/6 party.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Results...

BB 3-bet me and I folded. If he 3-bet me here with a worse hand then I commend him for outplaying me. I'm pretty sure I was going to be shown the nuts.