Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Do you keep playing or quit?

Hey po, I know what you are saying. I too sought out Ed Miller's book to read up on the shortstack strategy after sitting at tables sometimes where everyone is shortstacked. Believe me, 98% of these folks that I play with regularly aren't employing any kind of special strategy. They are weak players playing with scared money. And when they push it's because they have A high, not AA.

Anywho, why wouldn't I want to play with weak players/scared money? Because I would rather play with poor players with normal stacks, which aren't hard to find. When you play with ss'ers, all those nice hands like sc's and pp's that you like to play for the implied odds.....well, you don't have the implied odds to play them if the villians are shortstacked. If a villian with a $20 stack makes it $3 to go and you hold 55, you have to fold it. The implied odds just aren't there for you if you hit your hand. 98s, same deal. Yeah, you can sit there and nut peddle and eek out a profit; but, it's not as good of an investment of your time as playing with a table full of normal stacks. IMO.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:25 PM

You can beat Miller's strategy by playing aggressively.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can beat Miller's strategy by playing aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:36 PM

Sure. I think Ed Miller himself has made this point in some thread on this forum. The Ed Miller strategists won't defend their blinds as often as they should, for example, and you can gain some equity from constantly attacking them.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 PM

i leave. i dont like having to adjust play to optimally combat SS when i have to worry about several other good players with 200bb while i am holding the same. i like consistent tables
Old 08-17-2005, 07:14 PM

i should add, this assumes that the others arent in vending mode. in other words, if there were several players w/ 100-200bb stacks who totally sucked or if somebody w/ a 30-40bb stack pushed every other hand, i would have to stay.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You buy-in for the full $100 at a good table with a couple of big stacks and good action.

[/ QUOTE ]

why are big stacks good to play against? I always thought they won a lot of money and thus were good players....do they standardly piss it all away?
Old 08-17-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

why are big stacks good to play against? I always thought they won a lot of money and thus were good players....do they standardly piss it all away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deep stacks = more money on the table to be won. The majority of the 200+BB stacks I regularly see on tables aren't that good, and it's easy to identify who's playing TAG and who isn't. Deeper stacks also allows more turn/river play, where I think I can outplay my opponents more.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deep stacks = more money on the table to be won. The majority of the 200+BB stacks I regularly see on tables aren't that good, and it's easy to identify who's playing TAG and who isn't. Deeper stacks also allows more turn/river play, where I think I can outplay my opponents more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. I'd also add that if it turns out that one of the deep stacks is a TAG player, it won't take long before you recognise each other and start staying out of each others big pots for the most part (and hopefully, when you do play a big pot with him, you'll have him crushed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).