Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Blind defense?

You are about 51 to 49ish to win against 50% of hands.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why I wouldn't 3bet here. Against most of this guys stealing range I am golden. What is the theory behind not raising?

[/ QUOTE ]

your out of position

[/ QUOTE ]

This is similar to a blind battle debate we had a couple days ago regarding position. Suppose SB open limps, BB raises, and SB calls preflop. Assume SB checks this flop. BB is going to bet this approximately 98% of the time. It's standard operating procedure. SB knows this. This is why it's easy to set up flop checkraises since there's almost no chance of it getting checked through. Here's my point: SB has position on this flop in a twisted way. SB knows BB is betting autobetting this flop, so he can plan his flop action knowing when he checks that BB will bet. Even though BB is acting, SB has the initiative of what he wants to do with the hand. The position situation is fairly similar in a blind battle like this. With a marginal hand PF that doesn't really gain much value from a flop 3-bet, a smooth call gives the out of position player some great initiatives to control the pot.

Look at the flip side if you 3bet here and the flop comes noA,noA,noA. You're betting this flop the same 98% of the time. You have the initiative, but are really in a bind if he does anything but fold on the flop in what's now a fairly decent sized pot.

More of a ramble than anything, but I think it's worth considering.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
define golden

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the thinking behind 3betting A6-A7 but not A3?

I feel like this loose guy would raise 50% of his hands. Isn't A3 better than those?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it.

Edit:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 49.1002 % 45.34% 03.76% { A3o }
Hand 2: 50.8998 % 47.14% 03.76% { 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J2s+, T2s+, 92s+, 82s+, 72s+, 62s+, 52s+, 42s+, 32s, A2o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o }
Old 08-11-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why I wouldn't 3bet here. Against most of this guys stealing range I am golden. What is the theory behind not raising?

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides being out of position, you can't be far ahead (even a hand as bad as 75o) and could be dominated (A8, 55, etc). I wouldn't describe it as golden, although you will be marginally ahead most times. I don't know if they will outweigh the equity you lose the times you are dominated though, even before considering position.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:06 PM

yes it is, but I dont think you're that far ahead of his average raising hands. Yea you're like 60-40 against 9T type hands I believe...but then you gotta include 33-AA and hands that have you dominated like AK. Ace high isn't as great as you might think, especially with a 3 kicker. As sublime points out, your positional disadvantage offsets your slight equity edge. I'm not saying 3betting is horrible, but you're definitely not golden.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:07 PM

So what do I do? call and call down on a raggy board? Check-raise turn if an A flops/turns? This guy was a ridiculous LAG as it turns out, and he showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

*sigh* gonna go read more.

Edit: just found http://vindikation.com/poker/shorthanded.pdf

Good resource.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:07 PM

i am all for gaining initiative preflop (i have to, cuz i suck postflop) but this is taking it to far. there are some guys i fold this against, and by some i mean more than i can count on my hands.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:08 PM

I'm glad I posted this because apparently I suck at blind defense.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the thinking behind 3betting A6-A7 but not A3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because A7o is better than A3o. The line has to be somwhere and while it's not clear exactly where it is, most people put A7o above it and A3o below it. How often do you flop top or second pair with a 7 vs a 3?

FWIW, PokerStove results for A3o if he raises the top 50% of his hands:
49.0:51.0 dog.

For A7o:
52.8:47.1 favorite.

Lost Wages
Old 08-11-2005, 06:10 PM

I ususally muck A7o and lesser in this spot. Is that too tight?