Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: how bad was this hand?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check call the river man. Betting lets him know you have a flush so he auto pushes a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]Why would a villain that is smart enough to price villain on on the turn be dumb enough to price villain out on the river? If villain is smart enough to underbet the turn, why is he overbetting the river? Unless villain has a read that Hero will make this call with even a weak flush, the overbet makes me skeptical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because more then half the people playing party 50 are physically unable to lay down a flush.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably play it like you do on the turn, actually. You are still open-ended and have the second-nut flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]
anyone else agree with this? is it worth a marginal call with the board paired and you could be dead already?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:37 PM

it really depends on your read of villain. If villain is good, there is no way he's not full potting or at LEAST 2/3 potting the turn on that board if he has trip jacks...when he fires half the pot after a full pot on the turn it REALLY looks like the full house IF he is decent. If he's a donk then I probably call because they aren't smart enough to protect their good hands. Sounds like he's far from a donk though so this would have been a fold i think on the turn smelling a big rat.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably play it like you do on the turn, actually. You are still open-ended and have the second-nut flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]
anyone else agree with this? is it worth a marginal call with the board paired and you could be dead already?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how you think he'll bet the river when it's a spade or A/9. If an A or 9 comes off it makes AJ/J9 (likely combos) full. If I think he bets the pot on the river when it's a spade, it seems like this is -EV. Call me weak but how many times have YOU been holding the boat on the turn praying the guy catches up so you can jam the river?

Check-call on the river is the option over leading-calling a raise. No way your hand can be good there. The river is screaming fold.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would a villain that is smart enough to price villain on on the turn be dumb enough to price villain out on the river? If villain is smart enough to underbet the turn, why is he overbetting the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Overbetting river is smart. It works very often because many people will talk themself in "whoa why he is overbetting this must be a bluff" mood.
First thing to realize about no-limit play is that big bet at the end usually means big hand. There are tons of players who cant learn this simple rule and this is why river pushes are so efficient.