Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: 50K hand checkup @ $1/$2 6-max, need some help w/ VPIP

[ QUOTE ]
What hands should I be defending with in the BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go read the chapter in HEPFAP on heads up play (Pg. 183+)and use those cutoffs. Sklansky's discussion of where the PF stealer shows an automatic profit when the BB doesn't defend often enough is very revealing.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What hands should I be defending with in the BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, I've loosened up to any hand with 50%+ equity v an opponent with a random holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is too loose in Party 1/2. You will not be able to fold opponents out, and at least for many opponenets their stealing range is not truly random. You need to be better than 50% against their range, and you are out of position... so I think raising the bar to the top 40% of starters is where you want to be. In no fold'em games maybe still tighter than that given how much value you do get when you hit, and how seldom you'll win with high card ace.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:55 PM

If you get your steal percentage up around 30 it'll put your LP VPIP in the lower twenties. And while it's true that outright stealing isn't going to be as effective at the lower limits, I think you'll be surprised at how many pots you can take without showdown by following up with flop and/or turn bets.

I don't have a link handy, but Nate made a post "blind stealing experiment" (or something like that) that is helpful when figuring out what hands you should be stealing with.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you get your steal percentage up around 30 it'll put your LP VPIP in the lower twenties. And while it's true that outright stealing isn't going to be as effective at the lower limits, I think you'll be surprised at how many pots you can take without showdown by following up with flop and/or turn bets.

I don't have a link handy, but Nate made a post "blind stealing experiment" (or something like that) that is helpful when figuring out what hands you should be stealing with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate's Blind Stealing Experiment
Old 07-31-2005, 04:59 PM

I'd like to help, but my brain seized after seeing your VPIP was 18%.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 8c Td (straight flush, eight high).
Hero has Jc Ad (straight flush, seven high).
Outcome: BB wins 12.25 BB. </font>

:|

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, BB has one helluva pattern mapper.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate's Blind Stealing Experiment

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's it. Thanks King....
Old 07-31-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't looked, but don't post results. Just don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevermind my remark above... I'm an idiot. I ask a question re: straight flush, you answer it, and then I go after you for doing so. I wasn't putting 2 and 2 together. D'oh. NH.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:14 PM

lol, I know the rules about posting, I figured either a) you were being sarcastic or b) you didn't realize what I posted.

Thanks for the HPFAP recommendation, I'll check it out.