FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Please Help!!!

Thanks mom
Old 07-28-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is often said, but it is wrong. You should play more loosely at a loose table. That your opponents are playing trash means more hands become profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you tighten up a little is so that you can crush them and get paid off when you have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is not an argument for playing tightly in a loose game. Knowing that you would get paid off more on AA does not tell you that you shouldn't bother playing AJo or ATs. In many situations, these hands lose money in a properly tight game, but they win money in a loose game. That means you should play more loosely in a loose game, though not nearly as loosely as your opponents.

In a recent NL game, I limped with AT after several limpers, and then a very loose, aggressive player raised from the blinds, and was called by a few limpers. I reraised, almost setting the maniac in, and everyone else folded. The maniac pushed his last money in on the QT3r flop with T5o. In a tight game, I might fold ATo, but in that generally loose game I was confident that it was profitable on average even if I couldn't isolate the maniac and pick up a lot of dead money.

[ QUOTE ]
By playing too many hands, you will lose more money when you miss and they keep playing on and you fold, or you will catch a piece of the flop and stay when you shouldn't even be in the hand to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm advocating playing tighter than your opponents in a loose game, just not as tightly as in a normal game. That means your warnings about loose play apply far more to your loose opponents. They are losing money with junk hands. Who is the beneficiary? The premium hands gain, but they don't occur frequently enough to soak up all of the dead money. Decent hands like AJo and KTs pick up a lot of equity, but only if you play them.

You have to recognize that winning the pot 30% of the time after you put in 1/3 of the money in a tight game is bad, while winning the pot 20% of the time after you put in 1/6 of the money in a loose game is good. My goal is not to win pots. It is to get more money back than I put in.

[ QUOTE ]
You need to try and play the opposite of what the table is doing, but hey what do I know, just because most of the top pros advocate this strategy what do they know right.

[/ QUOTE ]
I trust what I can deduce from logic and data from poker sites more than I trust urban legends, particularly when Sklansky, Malmuth, and Miller also disagree with those urban legends in SSHE. So does Mike Caro in his articles.

If you look more closely, I don't think you'll find the "top pros" disagree with me, Caro, Sklansky, Malmuth, and Miller on this. They may say that beginners will feel the most comfortable if they only play premium hands at a loose table, but that doesn't mean playing more loosely than normal would not be even more profitable.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:28 PM

It's a two-part plan with playing the mindless aggressors:

(1) Preflop, only play premium hands. Dip only slightly in hand selectivity when in late position.

(2) After making a hand, protect against cards that can suck out -- flushes, straights, a better two pair, etc. -- by betting perhaps the size of the pot. Even if they call and suck out, but you're giving them way bad odds to call, then you're doing the right thing -- just keep doing it.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:53 PM

1. Play position harder, these guys are generally easier to read than a dictionary.

2. Read Tournament hold em, I think its by sklansky

3. play aggressive

4. Dont play overly tight here

5. adjust your bets to change the pot odds to make them call incorrectly!